Pink Fox: its Raining...IN MY HOUSE! :/

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well 45 bales of hay in the barn...we lost 1 to mold from sitting in the trailer...and 3 well probably loose 1-2 end flakes...the trailer leaks...not bad but enough that sitting in there for a few weeks getting wet and hot...the badly molded one will get tossed onto the compost and used as mulch, the 3 with bad flakes will get pulled apart and closely inspected, anything even slightly suspect will get tossed...but otherwise. :)
we could probably fit about 250 bales in our hay loft with some creating stacking, the goal right now will be to fill the barn, buy 10-20-up to 55 bales (45 in the trailer 10 on the truck lol) when we see it cheap and fill the loft...
then each month buy 5 bales to KEEP it stocked so we don't have to buy hay before winter when the prices climb.

got the area cleared out for shearing the alpaca, just need to sweep and we should be ready to go...that's the plan for Tuesday since sis is off work and can help me.

and today we got more planting done...
our 4 4x8 beds have 2 more spots for some zucchini but otherwise chocked full...
we even have some buckets....
as of right now weve got tomatoes, peppers garlic, onions, cabbage, brussel sprouts, carrots, lettuce, kale, peas, beans, sweet potato, cucumber, waermellon, cantaloupe, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, zucchini, eggplant, chard, beets, celery, and broccoli....
were essentially focusing on things we use...a lot...
Next up is a 8x2 bed for asparagus and working on the greenhouse. I want that done long before the weather starts to change...and some potato planters...
weve also got from 7-8 more 4x8 beds and a 10x2 bed and more buckets along the fencelines for climbers...
im quite happy with how the veggie patch is coming along...my zucchini is trying to take over the world lol.
I swear I can sit and watch that grow by the minute!

not much else going on, still looking for a dresser...and a couch...
and ive got a plan in my head for a new tank...
I have a 29 gallon tall tank that im planning on turning into a palladium (1/2 water 1/2 land, planted) im thinking of putting a couple of crested geckos in (cause they don't need additional heat or light) if it comes out the way its in my head it should look realy cool...but ive got to get the translation just right..the hope is to have a waterfall at one end with a few teirs that runs into a stream that then runs into the water area....it would be full of live plants and vines, I want to use it kind of like a room divider between the bed area and the living room area...so I need to find a dresser to put it on lol.

and yeah, that's about all I got.
tomorrow I play medical transport for momma, and Tuesday is nekkid alpaca day.

oooo on a slightly different note...
we have 2 goslings under our hens LOL, I gave my hens who whent broody some goose eggs..apparently they do a much better job than the incubator. got another pipped will probably be here by morning and another that was just starting its external pip...and another under the goose, but im not dumb enough to try and move her to check lol.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
thank you :)
I think itll end up being cheap Walmart or ikea pecial that I can personalize...but we'll see.

moved 1 of the broody hens and 2 of the goslings (hers and one form under the 2 in the shared nest) to a large cage, theres 1 more under the pair still damp, and another on his way out...so I figure the peeping form damp gosling should encourage the last...ill move both of those babies into the crate (broody hen #1 took the 2nd very enthusiastically) and she can raise them until they sell.
don't think the one under the goose is going to hatch, she got off the nest this morning for breakfast so I took alook, no external pip and no knocking inside, will give her a few more days and see if she abandons it, if not ill pull it

our batch of ducks and pilgrim goslings should ship out today so ive got the brooder all set up for their arrival too...

not much realy planned for today, going into town later this afternoon I belive...
tomorrow im getting the alpaca done
and Wednesday im hopefully going to go pick up my new French lop doe. (I found a tri-color which is the coloration I realy want to work with lol.)

hoping the embden geese, these new goslings, and a couple of adult doe rabbits sell this week...

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
well we now have 4 shorn alpace...
its certainly not pretty, and its certainly not smooth...
but I got most of the blanet off in nice whole pieces and got the necks clean....which means they wil be cooler and we have wool to play with.
to be honest next year I may just have a team come in and do it (or take them to one of the local farms when their team comes in...) it was hot and swaty, we got it done but I just think it was more stress than nessicary on ME...lol.

either way...this year its DONE :)

we now have 4 goslings under broody hen, tomorrow ill clean up in the barn and remove the box the other 2 hens are using, hopefully they'll move on once the net has gone.

we got ourselves a farm vehicle today, an old Kawasaki ATV, needs a lot of work but we got it for scrap price and parts are pretty cheap on ebay...only hard part is going to be finding the right carburetor...needs new break lines and a good flush out and tune up, everything else though looks cosmetic.
we stopped to take a look at one on the side of the road, lady got there just before us nd put a hold on it, but offered us hers for cheap, it was too big for her and the one on the road side was a smaller unit...so...yeah.

its a project, but or what they paid for it, once its fixed up if nothing else itll be perfect for hauling feed sacks and tools up the hill to the barn, or dragging the trash cans down ou 1/2 mile driveway, or a cheap plow/snow hrower fitting on front itll make clearing the drive much easier for dad during the winter.
hes now of course secnd guessing himself for spending the money...but whatever...ill get more than enough use out of it to make it all worthwhile.

in other good news...
found a dresser for my room, picking it up tomorrow night...
its not white...but it Is an old country/traditional style in a light greyish blue...
the fabric I have for the curtain under my craft desk has the greyish blue in it too, so I think I can pull the color in and make it work with the feel im going for (English cottage feel)
itll be nice to have some place to put my clothes that isn't the floor. :D

so...tomorrow its that and a trip to town for stuffs...
Wednesday goslings and duckies are supposed to arrive and im suppose to be going to pick up my new French lop doe, Thursday...I think is mums drs appointment, and Friday PT or her, but nothing special for me...and Saturday all but 2 of the angoras should eb going home...busy week...
somewhere in there id like to clean up the barn from todays shearing job, start working on my newest terrarium project and wor on the larger quail pen so I can get the big batch of males moved to give them more room...

talk about rollercoater life.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a little bit...
none of them are halter trained yet...so that part was fun, (a lot of "NOPE" going on lol) but once I got em clipped up the boys were actually realy well behaved...
the girs...a little more opinionated about the situation.
our big girl goldie dang near had a panic attack, and our small girl was not interested in standing still.
it definatly wasn't the smoothest looking shearing job int he world, but no one (including me or sis) got hurt so it worked out.

in good news...
I HAVE A DRESSER! the blue grey is a realy soft muted tone thatll go well with the accent material I made the craft curtain out of and have more to make various other things with too...and lots of good storage so YAY.
gonna work on getting my clothing sorted out this afternoon I think.
the back is not repainted and im using it as a room divider separating the bed and living areas, so im not sure how I want to tackle that.
I could drape fabric over it or use the same effect I did on my craft desk witht he paper decoupage (im planning on doing that to my coffee table too)...or mabe do something realy funky, chalkboard paint? its not realy tall enough to put it at eye height though...
well see, that's realy the last of my concerns right now lol.

side note, im NEVER ordering anything with dads amex again...becaue of the security on amex when we placed our order for the ucks/geese I had to put HIS info in...
they were supposed to ship Monday with a aprox arrival today....
yesterday I had to ask dad to check his email and he goes "yeah supposed to ship Monday" no other information (they typically send out a "shipped on" email ect) and today NOTHING...no "hey I got an email they should be arriving today, no nothing...GAH.
when I know im expecting live animals I check my email OBSESSIVLY...
instead im sat her thinking....do I go do critter chores and hope I don't miss a call from the post office,? do I wait? do I do I do I?

I need to get chores done because ei have to leave by 9:30 to go pick up my new bun.
think ill get started, but take the phone out with me and hopefully thy call before I have to eha up to the barn (out of phone range.)
Fingers crossed.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
no sooner did I head outside did the post office called. 6 welsh harlequin ducks a pair of pilgrim goslings and a male khaki campbel all in the brooder in the barn. :)
nice looking group of babies too!

rabbit run was a bust, apparently fate says no on that one, but its ok.

lost 2 of the chicken hatched goslings at some point last night...no signs of bodies, im thinking rats...so im going to pull the other 2 mark them so im not guesing on them vs pilgrims and put them in the brooder where at least they are safe from rats.
feel bad taing them from broody mamma hen Bunty though :/
cant be feeding the rats though.

no energy today, think im going to go work on getting some clothing into my new dresser and mabe even make the water fall feature for my new tererrium project :)