Plain Dress

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Eventually someday I plan on making one myself. I was just going to make it smaller (1 and a half yards I think it was) so it doesn't need the puff of the petticoat. The only problem with that style is that it emphasizes the fact that my hips have some "fluff" that needs to come off. :rolleyes:

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's definitely womanly to have larger hips. Mine are just a bit too big. :p

I LOVE the belt too, I'm 1/16th Irish, and ever since anything Irish/Gaelic captures my attention. :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Most of the time I am in jeans and a t-shirt or tank top. But I love wearing dresses. They are often more comfortable, especially in the summer. For a while I wore my rennaisance undergarment all the time, at home. It covers from the neck to the toes and has long sleeves. And wore nothing underneath. I would prefer to wear nothing as well, but I also like modesty. I only wear nothing, when I know no-one can see me. Other than my partner that is.
I will often wear long flowing skirts and loose comfortable tops. I go more for comfort. So I like wearing bikini tops and shorts in the backyard in the summer. But I won't go out in the front yard like that. I also got myself a couple of nice cotton dresses that are short, so I don't trip over them, that I wear in the back a lot. I spend a lot of time on my knees, and long skirts or dresses just get ruined.
I've gone from wearing very revealing clothing to extremely modest, feminine to masculine and just about everything in between. Right now, my attire is dictated by my budget, farmwork, and comfort. But occasionally I get to wear pretty things.
I have actually been cleaning out my closet, getting rid of some of the oversized masculine clothing that I had been given. And aquiring more feminine and better fitting clothing at the Goodwill outlet, or finding something in one of my boxes and changing it or repairing it, so I can wear it again.

chickenone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
chickenone said:
why would you want to be not of the world? Do you not like people?
WE love people :love

I do not want this thread to get shut down, so I will be careful in how I answer this. If you want a longer explanation ( no preaching, I promise) pm me.
I have chosen to follow the Biblical mandate of separation in the way I live. This includes dress.

For many years, I dressed very Anabaptist, as that tends to be the easiest "uniform" for lack of a better word.
Its simple to just wear jumpers or cape dresses.
But, being separate does not necessarily need to scream "I am different".
I had a thread going awhile back on choosing a more modern style, and we found a way to do it, that DH and I love equally.
If it were just me, I would go back to the German Baptist style, but there are two of us in this marriage, and a compromise is by far the better way to go :)
Oh my I am not trying to get your thread shut down. I am just often curious about why people chose to do the things they do and it may come across as a debate or a challenge. It is not meant that way. I just live in a different world. I am not a Christian and have no desire to be one. I wear what I want and value my freedom. I would never let any man have a say in what I wear- he would have to accept my choices or hit the road. So, we are coming in from two totally different points of view. I am sure my ways would seem strange to you as well.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
chickenone said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
chickenone said:
why would you want to be not of the world? Do you not like people?
WE love people :love

I do not want this thread to get shut down, so I will be careful in how I answer this. If you want a longer explanation ( no preaching, I promise) pm me.
I have chosen to follow the Biblical mandate of separation in the way I live. This includes dress.

For many years, I dressed very Anabaptist, as that tends to be the easiest "uniform" for lack of a better word.
Its simple to just wear jumpers or cape dresses.
But, being separate does not necessarily need to scream "I am different".
I had a thread going awhile back on choosing a more modern style, and we found a way to do it, that DH and I love equally.
If it were just me, I would go back to the German Baptist style, but there are two of us in this marriage, and a compromise is by far the better way to go :)
Oh my I am not trying to get your thread shut down. I am just often curious about why people chose to do the things they do and it may come across as a debate or a challenge. It is not meant that way. I just live in a different world. I am not a Christian and have no desire to be one. I wear what I want and value my freedom. I would never let any man have a say in what I wear- he would have to accept my choices or hit the road. So, we are coming in from two totally different points of view. I am sure my ways would seem strange to you as well.
Nothing is strange to me. I am well aware of different ways ;)
And as a Christian, I am free, as are all others, to choose personal modest style.
Various denominations, for the sake of unity, choose a uniform style.
It removes the "need" to compete for style, or keeping up with the Jones's.

Also, I do not let my DH dictate what I wear :lol:
Its a sorry state of affairs if that is happening.
Contrary to popular opinion, most conservative Christians actually have very open relationships when it comes to marriage.
I do defer to DH in important decisions for final say, but he values my input, and often we meet in the middle.
We both have our strengths and weaknesses, and we work to support each other.

I would consider it to be quite disrespectful to say I do nto care what he likes, and just do whatever I want.
Would not make for a very trusting relationship for us.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
So many people raise their eyebrows when I say I need to confer with my husband before making a big decision. He doesn't give me permission....he trusts me. It is a sign of a good relationship and it is a courtesy. He does the same with me. It is sad that more people don't dignify their spouse in this way.

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
So many people raise their eyebrows when I say I need to confer with my husband before making a big decision. He doesn't give me permission....he trusts me. It is a sign of a good relationship and it is a courtesy. He does the same with me. It is sad that more people don't dignify their spouse in this way.
I get that too. And it's exactly the same here, I do not have to confer with my husband with the big decisions I make, but I do because he is much wiser and level headed then I and it makes him feel.... I can't come up with the right term, but it means a lot to him that I desire his input on such decisions.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I always "confer" with hubby, it is the only way to live peaceably.......

Latest posts