Plastics in the kitchen..Safe?

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've heard lots of reports about the toxins in plastic products used for food storage. I specifically want to know if my beloved tupperware is safe? How about the rubbermaid line of stoarges products. The articles I can find on the internet are from the manufacturers and they report (of Course) that they are safe.
I've been carrying water in a mason jar in my purse instead of plastic bottles. I get a lot of strange looks!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think not.

Great idea on the mason jar! I purchased an aluminum water bottle for $4 from Big Lots and have been using it. Plastics make me cringe.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BBH, what do you use for cooking utensils? Our stove has a griddle for our center burner but you have to use the plastic utensils on it so you don't scratch the junk off it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Aluminum makes me cringe, too! Swing-top beer bottles are fun, especially when you are driving while swigging..... :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
HI FREE!! How is FL? I miss you when you travel. :/

lupinfarm said:
BBH, what do you use for cooking utensils? Our stove has a griddle for our center burner but you have to use the plastic utensils on it so you don't scratch the junk off it.
Well Lupin, I wouldn't use it anymore...but that is just me. ;)

Free also inspired me to store water in the fridge in vodka bottles. Fun to serve guests this way, eh free?? :lol:

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Sally, where do you find the grosch (I can't remember how you spelled it) swing top bottles? What do they look like?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:lol: Yup, dh LOVES to pull that big Sky Vodka bottle out and offer water!!! Or just pour himself a glass and take a big gulp, then say, "Anyone else thirsty?"

Thanks for missing me! The computer room is filling up here at the hotel....I'll hang onto this one as long as I can until the fights break out..... :p