Please post pictures of your gardens here

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas on how to plant a new and beautiful garden that will provide edible plants. I have an oak tree that I would like to take out and plant a vegetable garden in its place, but I'd like it to be appealing to the eye because the area is right in the middle of the backyard, just past the patio. I'd also like to plant fruit trees in the front yard. I need ideas!!!! Thank you.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have a tiny front yard (40 feet wide by about 30 feet from front wall to the front door). I have three dwarf fruit trees planted in this space; a peach tree, a self pollinating cherry tree, and a grafted tree that produces several DIFFERENT kinds of fruit (apricots, peaches, nectarines and plums). In addition I have a bush cherry and a grape vine!

Dwarf fruit trees make a great addition to your landscaping! The flowers are beautiful and the trees are very shapely if trimmed properly. In addition you can get a LOT of fruit. My single peach tree has produced over 60 pounds of peaches in a single year! They do take some work however. You MUST keep any fallen fruit cleaned up for sanitation reasons in addition to keeping the yard looking nice. You must regularly prune and I feel that spraying with at LEAST dormant oil is necessary as well.
266_cherrybush2b.jpg

Even a tiny backyard garden can be nice to look at as well.
266_backyard_garden_09.jpg

266_backgarden_09.jpg

I also grow quite a few things in containers, especially cucumbers, herbs, salad greens and squash!
266_vining_cukes.jpg

And more grapes on a shady arbor with a swing!
266_reliance_grapes_on_arbor.jpg

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, Farm, that's really inspiring! I'm gonna have a backyard garden next year if we manage to hold onto our house. I planted some peppers in a pot this year and they are going great guns. Sure is nice to wander out to the deck and pick fresh veggies for dinner! :caf

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I love the look of this last one. I have always been drawn to this style of garden...although never made one. It has real charm though and makes you want to come out and sit with your morning coffee :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have always loved that kind of garden as well!

Since I also have TWO BIG dogs and 3-4 hen I have to reserve a good size area of my back yard for a lawn for them. Sirius needs a place to play ball!

If I ever move I would love to do a "courtyard" type of kitchen garden, with herbs, flowers, salad greens and other edibles in beds and perhaps a summer kitchen gazebo in the middle of it. :drool

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Here are a few pics of the vacant lot behind some apartments in my neighborhood where I also garden. These are from this summer.
266_garden_09.jpg

266_garden_ii_09.jpg

266_cabbages_09.jpg

266_blackberries_close_09.jpg

266_corn_patch_09.jpg

There is about 1/4 an acre here. The big tree you see is an old apple tree. I also have a small pear tree and a new apple tree, but almost never get any fruit from the trees due to the squirrels. :somad

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We don't have any fruit trees but we did do raised beds this year. Here are my pics
This is before we got anything planted.
460_p4170169.jpg

I'll have to find the pics of everything after it started growing. I plan on putting in 2 more raised beds this fall, one just for lettuce and one just for carrots.

Here's the polytunnels, we have these over our newly planted seeds and transplants until they start to get some good growth to them. Helps keep in the warmth and keep out the wind. Just pvc pipe with a clear tarp over it.
P5180208.jpg

Here's the bean teepees
P5180213.jpg

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oooooooh! I'm getting great ideas here people! Keep those pics coming! Thank you thank you!