Please share your rabbit recipes.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our rabbits are finally doing their job and we have meat in the freezer. :thumbsup
So now I need some good recipes.

Nancy

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I made this a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious!

Coniglio Bianco, Italian Braised Rabbit

Serves 4 to 6.

Prep Time:90 minutes, mostly for breaking down the rabbit and making stock.

Cook Time:2 hours

QUICK RABBIT STOCK

· Ribs, neck and belly flaps from the rabbits
· 2 bay leaves
· 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
· 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
· 10 juniper berries, crushed (optional)
· 1 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
· Salt

BRAISED RABBIT

· 2 to 4 cottontails, 2 to 3 snowshoe hares or 2 domestic rabbits, cut up.
· Salt
· 1/3 cup olive oil
· 1 medium yellow or white onion, sliced root to stalk
· 1 teaspoon dried thyme
· 1/2 cup white wine or vermouth
· 1 cup quick rabbit stock (see above)
· 5 to 6 cloves, roasted orpreserved garlic
· 10 to 20 green olives, pitted and cut in half (I used Kalamata olives instead, because that's what I had)
· 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1. First you must break down your rabbits. Save the stray bones in the pelvis, ribs, belly flaps and neck for the stock.

2. To make the stock, Cover all the rabbit pieces — not just the stray ones — into a pot and cover them with cool water by about 1/2 inch. Bring this to a boil, then turn off the heat. Skim off any sludgy stuff that floats to the top. Fish out all the good pieces of rabbit — legs and saddle — and put them in a bowl in the fridge. Add the remaining stock ingredients, return everything to a bare simmer and cook for 1 hour. Strain and set aside.

3. Now find a heavy, lidded pot such as a Dutch oven and heat the olive oil over medium heat. When it is hot, add the sliced onions and cook until soft and translucent. Do not brown them. Add the white wine, 1 cup of the stock, the rabbit pieces from the fridge, the thyme and the garlic cloves. Bring to a simmer and add salt to taste. Turn the heat down to low, cover the pot and cook until the meat is tender, about 90 minutes to 2 hours.

4. Finish the dish by adding the green olives and fresh parsley. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes and serve.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oh my @Britesea that sounds delish. my recipe is so much lazier that I'm almost ashamed to send it. but i will...;)
cut 2 or 3 rabbits into pieces, roll in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper. brown in hot oil of your choice. place in a slow cooker along with some sliced onions, a can of campbells roasted garlic and mushroom soup mixed with about 1/2 can of water and let it cook till the rabbits tender and the gravy thickens.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@goatgurl , yours sounds very similar to the smothered chicken recipe I make all the time.
As far as complexity of recipes, I think our two recipes are a wash: You don't have to make stock, but I don't have to brown the meat?

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yum, For my first attempt I browned the rabbit and then baked with onion,garlic and tomatoes. It was ok. Think I might try something in the dutch oven when we go camping.