Pressure Cooker Safety - Severe Injury News Story

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Although modern pressure cookers are safe when used properly, accidents can happen so always be vigilant.

Woman's Leg Severed By Flying Pressure Cooker

To be fair, we don't yet know the particulars of the accident, like the age and condition of the cooker, how it fell, etc. This is just a reminder to remember safety first.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks k0xxx.

nothing but nightmares for here on.

auauaughghghhghhghghhghhghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

;-)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Ouchie!!! SEE why those things scare me!??!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have never used a pressure cooker only a canner with a gauge. How the heck do you know when a pressure cooker has too much pressure???

Sounds like the little old lady should have had some help in the kitchen. Poor thing.

g

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Ok, the highlighted part leaves me wondering what in the world else it could have been?

The impact caused it to explode. Maybe pieces from the pressure cooker severed her leg completely."
Maybe it did?

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I love my pressure canner and pressure cookers,they save energy and cooking time.
They sure can be dangerous, but are safe if used properly and have good seals.It's sad what happened in that accident,but sh_t happens...i'd never give up my pressure cooker/canners...

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There was a lady in our town who had a pressure canner explode on her. It scared her whole face and hands. I think some of her body also. She was a person who volenteered in the community. I do believe she even did canning classes. After the accident, she rarely if ever goes into public any more. And this is why my DH will not let me buy one. So I just use a water bath canner. My family has used one for ever and no one has ever gotten sick from the food. So that is what I go with..

This lady was a pro using a pressure canner. And this still happened to her. I dont think I want to take that chance when I dont have health insurance. If that happened to me, I would just have to deal with it myself. Which wouldnt be a good thing...

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saw that news story.

I have yet to learn pressure canning. I wanted to do it last year but never could afford the canner. I usually use simpler methods, but I WANT to be able to can.

I was hoping to come here and everyone would point out how safe they really are. Because ok, this lady's canner fell while under pressure? It's a terrible thing, but I guess understandable as a kind of freak accident.

But.

I've also got old stories from family and friends of pressure cookers and canners that blew up. And I wasnt thinking about it, but I'd be one of those who might have to take care of it on my own too (no insurance -- though I heard a RUMOR of the possibility of a job with benefits!) but for now I'm seriously limited.

Even if I had great insurance, the possibility of a cooker blowing up on me is scary.

I had really hoped to hear LOTS of reassurance and reasons why they are safe ...

Edited to change "pressure canker" to something that made more sense ...

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Those of you who ONLY use a water-bath canner, do you do anything special to ensure the cleanliness of the vegetables you're canning?