Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was there when the rescue woman barreled through. She really was rude. I think I just stood there with my jaw dropped.

Very good point about rescues reinforcing the need for backyard breeders. Sad. :/

LOL at WBF :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I can't believe that lady was so freakin rude! I know people are passionate about stuff but dang...you can be passionate without being obnoxious. We like backyard breeders that are responsible. We bred our chocolate lab to our black lab and had a beautiful litter of registered puppies but we made it a point to get a female and a male from totally different bloodlines with totally different genes. We also only bred her once a year and if it didn't take then fine. When you get people that are greedy and do it for the money instead of the love of the breed that's when you run into problems. We truly love labs and couldn't imagine not ever having one.

We still have to get Frawg, our bassett hound, spayed....I need to make that appointment.

I think the feedstore idea is great! You would be the perfect person to run a feedstore....and it would give you the opportunity to sell some of your chicks!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My life has been so crazy this last week, I've barely had time to sit down and eat, let alone spend much time online.

Started a week ago today, by going to Auction and selling our heifer, Blessing. She weighed 935#'s!! She brought a price we were VERY happy with, so the next day we were excited to go buy SHOES. lol Stupid, maybe, but E and our youngest son REALLY needed new shoes.

What we didn't know: the day after we sold Blessing, our money hit the bank - while we were out shoe shopping.

So on Wednesday we hit town again to go car shopping - which didn't start out so great. The first dealer was a PAIN. We found an 8 passenger 2008 Ford Expedition on their lot, the extra long version. No real extras to it, just extra long. We told them we'd pay xx amount down, and the sales jerk (he was so not a person) said it wasn't enough down. So E and I conversed privately, and offered a little more down. He said that was better, but to get our financing started (originally had no intentions of financing but they haven't released all the money, just part, and we desperately needed a vehicle large enough for our whole family) we'd need to write him our check for our downpayment. OR, we could give him non-refundable $500 deposit HOLD the car for a week to give time for the rest of the money to come in. We said no, but we did right out the check for the down payment (refundable) and they were supposed to work on financing. Baby boy was hungry, so we left to get lunch and the sales jerk said to give him a half hour.

About 45 min - hour later we were back, and he says they couldn't get us financed because all the banks were closed??? (Wednesday, and some but not all banks here close 1/2 day.) THEN he said, "and the guy who came in behind you is interested in the Expedition, too. His wife was here last week looking at it." (LIAR).

So he tells us to call him back the next day (Thursday) around 1pm because his manager was going to work on it - and he would hold our down payment until then. I was REALLY uncomfortable leaving that check there! I made them give me in writing that they would return our check if we weren't financed. Thursday morning E said we're not calling, we're going in. So we got the kids off to school and headed into town - but we stopped and ran a few errands first. When we got to the car lot, the sales jerk invites us to sit down and says, "My manager wants to know if you have a co-signer? It would make things a lot easier." I immediately said, "no, we're not asking any friends or family to co-sign, so please return our check." He kind of balked at giving us the check back, but he finally did - but he still kept calling us that evening trying to make us change our mind.

Next morning (Friday) we wake up and I check the bank account - and omg they released more $! So we call the lot up and I asked, "What's the best you can do on it?" Jerk face replies make an offer. So E named off a number and said he wanted it to include tax and title. They said they can't do that. We asked them what could you do. He tried to haggle for the full asking price, and we said no, and made a lower offer (we were REALLY ticking them off) but said we'd pay tax and title on top of the lower offer. He said I know I can't do that. I said OK we'll call someone else. Sales jerk tells E, "Good luck finding another one of these elsewhere, they're hard to find!"

So we decided to call the dealer BeccaOh had purchased her car from a few months ago. TOTAL 180 compared to the first lot! The salesman asked how much did we want to put down, so E told him. He asked what we were looking for. We told him and he said let me see what we have and I'll call you back. Ok, thanks.

20 minutes after hanging up, sales jerk from the other lot calls. He says, "My general manager said we can take your offer of XX" to which I said, "well I was willing to pay that but not now. We're waiting to hear from another lot" and he asks "do they have an Expedition" and I said I dunno but they are checking and sales jerk says lets go to their website and see and I said no - he
asked to talk to E so I gave E the phone and after 5 minutes of the guy not letting E get a word in, E hung up on him.

So the second car lot calls back and the salesman says, "We have 3 Expeditions" *thud* so I guess the first sales jerk was right, we didn't find one - we found THREE lol K from Louden motors went through the 3 Expeditions they had, and E told them he wanted the 2008 EL Model, to which K replies, "It's Limited" and I had no clue what that meant.

So he gets the information from me to run E's credit and see if they could get him financed with the down payment we offered. Says they'll call back and let us know, and we have not yet set foot on their car lot!

Meanwhile, Sales jerk calls back and says, "I talked to my General Manager and he says we can take xx amount out the door, including tax and title " and THIS counter offer was LOWER than MY LOWEST offer - and we laughed and said no thanks, the other place is working on financing us and we hung up again.

An hour later, the second lot calls back and says, "You're approved! You can come down and look at it and tell us if you want it or if you want something else and we'll go from there."

So we got my mom to sit with the kids and we drove out to the lot and whoa! you could have knocked us over when we saw the car! We were expecting 8 passenger with extra cargo space, but we were NOT expecting moon roof, leather interior, heated seats, dvd player - pretty much everything it could have except gps. Not ONLY were the sales people incredibly NICE, but they did little things - like offered us something to drink, gave us 3 free calendars, etc. Next morning, when we showed up to give them our check they offered us a cup of coffee!!

so we drove it home and it should be (hopefully) paid off by January.

In between the car shopping, we had gone to a furniture store and bought new beds for all the kids. The beds arrived on Friday, so inbetween phone calls with car dealerships we were assembling beds and putting on their new bedding. I also bought curtains for the kids' bedroom windows - which they didn't have before. It looks so much better having curtains on the windows. I also bought a complete matching bathroom set for their bathroom - in FROGS. It's sooo cute! They now have a shower curtain, rug, soap dish, tumbler, and 2 toothbrush holders, and the trash can. It is SO CUTE and they were SO excited. Especially DD who likes to take showers.

We've also picked up a few things that we've put back for Christmas. :)

I also purchased a new washer and dryer (on sale for half price) and a new fridge, as our fridge freezes food in the back. The appliances are back ordered, but should be delivered next Monday.

Sunday we spent the afternoon at my Aunt and Uncles having Squeakers 2 month photos taken. They got some beautiful shots of both my girls, and even put all of the kids in together for some of them. Then they took beautiful photos of E and Squeakers. I can't wait until we get to see them!

After the portrait session we ran off to church for the annual Church's Thanksgiving Dinner - and I had my time wrong so we were late, but I guess the turkey hadn't cooked in time for the dinner and was just being served as we arrived so it ended well for us!

Today it was back to town to get the insulation needed to finish our bedroom.

Both bathrooms needed toilet seats, as they were broke in both bathrooms. I picked out wood seats, to match the wood trim in the rest of the house. We also replaced door locks on the doors that were broken.

We haven't really done much "splurging" as in shopping for just fun. We are also shopping for a child for Share A Christmas this year. I am so excited about that! And we did buy a couple toys and donated those to Toys for Tots - which felt wonderful! And today, I gave to the annoying bell ringer outside of Walmart for the Salvation Army (I just had to).

Tomorrow, we are giving the car that was given to us to a neighbor who needs transportation. I am taking her down to the BMV to sign the car over to her and get her 30 day tag for her. This is the gal who has been cutting our hair for the last 6 years at no charge. She said she wouldn't have the $ to pay for the title or tags until Thursday, but E and I have decided to cover the cost for her since she never charges us for hair cuts. I cannot wait to give it to her!

And I think ya'll are all caught up now.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
WOW! Showers of blessings! :woot Amazing! Glad to have you back around here too :hugs

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So happy for you on the car! Wow. I know your neighbor is going to be so happy about getting your other car. How very generous of you. :thumbsup Now, where are the pics?? I have GOT to see that bathroom!!! ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the car story was funny but a nightmare for you also. what is it with these places? they can drive a person insane!! glad you found what you wanted tho!!