Question about Chicken Feed

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to get chicken feed at a pretty good price. It is made up of some spilled grain and cleanings from mostly golden flax. Everything in the bag is organic but not certified. It is made up of spring wheat, buckwheat, oats and golden flax along with weed seeds and stems.

Is this a good feed for chickens?

I'm a new chicken owner. Been mostly buying Nutrena feed at a local Farm Supply which has worked out well. But I can get this feed for about .10 a pound compared to over .25 a pound for the Nutrena brand.

Also, would this be OK for laying hens?

Thanks in advance.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds good. The recommended diet is 16% protein and make sure they have a calcium source for egg development.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The feed sounds great. Especially the Flax. That adds great Omega 3's. You could even soak the grains. If allowed to sprout it will increase the protein level 10 fold. I think FreeMotion would recommend adding a bit of whey while soaking. :D

Either way wet or dry the chickens should love it. Transition them slowly so they get used to the whole grains and be sure they have some kind of grit available if they are not free ranging.

g

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would snap it up. Be sure it hasn't gotten wet.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would grab it. It is low in protein for a laying flock unless they have access to buggy free ranging. Very buggy. Or you can get cooked meat scrap for them (I use lots of bone broth and mash the leftovers and freeze in baggies for my hens in winter and to raise chicks). Sprouting grains slightly increases protein, so if they are whole grains, sprout 'em a bit (a day of soaking and a day or two of rinsing/draining) and that'll do it.

Transition over a three week period from mash or pellets to whole grains, and be sure they have access to stony free range and/or supply grit that is crushed granite. Not the grit that TSC sells that is oyster shell. That is NOT grit and it ticks me off. They need "hen's teeth" to grind whole grains, and that is sharp bits of rock. Granite is ideal.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I would just mix it with laying mash and give OS free choice. Sounds like a good find...if the flax is ground it can be quite moist, so beware of mold formation in your feed. Whole flax seed shouldn't be a problem, though.

RobinsValleyVT

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I would use that and add black oil sunflower seed for more protein. I'd add some crushed egg shell for layers and feed back some scrambled eggs every so often and that should help with calcium and more protein.

ScottSD

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for your input everyone.

I got it a couple of nights ago.

The guy actually had it delivered for nothing. He is over three hours away and he had a friend who lived near me coming out for pheasant hunting. So he brought back 1000 lbs with him.

I wasn't sure how much space 1000 lbs would take up, but it was about half a pick up box full. He had it in a very large bag, some of which I put into four 55 gallon barrels (all I had). After that, the bag was light enough so two of us could drag it off of the pick up box.

I should be set for a while, don't you think? :D

I love craigslist......

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That was a fantastic deal! I am feeling pretty spoiled as I watch my free wheat berries getting used up .....I'm used to free grain now and won't like having to pay for it again!