Question about "drawing salve"

theegghunter

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I remember my Great Aunt putting what she called drawing salve on a "few" of the splinters I used to get around the farm. It worked like a charm, but, I for the life of me, can't remember what it was called!!
Does anyone know of a super drawing salve? I have a really icky spider bite on my leg that just doesn't want to get better and I think some drawing salve would work famously!! I THINK I remember it being in a tube, consistency close to that of bag balm, but more "clear" than bag balm. I really don't care if it is the same or not, but I would love to have some drawing salve!! Thanks so much!!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My grandmother used to make a paste with papaw's snuff and honey. She put it on boils that I used to get and it would make them come to a head. She then took a string and twisted it around the core and pulled it right out (I know that sounds just gross :sick but it worked.

theegghunter

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Agreed, does sound yucky, but the old ways were some that we should have stuck with!! Except this one: When we were kids and got sick at Mammah and Granddads house, (they were both from Kentucky, but came to live in Indiana, but both had very poor backrounds), the "cure" was turpintine (sp) and either sugar or honey!! I am not really sure if it worked, but we were NEVER sick at Mammah and Granddad's!! hehe

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have no idea what your great aunt used.

But three things that I have found work well are:

1) epsom salts gel -- I do not know any way to make this at home, you have to buy it (they sell it, wintergreen-scented, for horses)

2) honey, alone or with extra sugar added to make a sort of gooey paste

or

3) betadine with enough sugar added to make a gooey paste (be aware that betadine stains).

If this is for a spider bite however it may just BE an open active ulcer for a long while, they are often like that due to the effects of the spider venom. Unfortunately.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
There was ergophene ointment that was used as a drawing salve, but I can't find it anymore, and it worked well.

I went on a google adventure and found an interesting link: clicky and sources. There's a how to make your own' recipe here, but I like the old fashioned black salve the best (stinky though it is). I've been trying to find a local source for drawing salve, I'll have to buy a jar online. I miss ergophene, it worked well and didn't stink. I wonder why they don't make it anymore (I looked, if anyone can come up with the reason why I'd love to hear it!)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Another one used with horses was ichthammol. It is thick and black. Don't know much about it but used it a couple decades ago. It came in a pint jar or a tube like a toothpaste tube.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Another one used with horses was ichthammol. It is thick and black. Don't know much about it but used it a couple decades ago. It came in a pint jar or a tube like a toothpaste tube.
Yep, that's in the link I posted above. It stinks, but it works.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a jar of Dr. Christopher's black salve - here's the ingredients:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Chaparral Leaf, Comfrey Leaf, Red Clover Blossom, Mullein Leaf, Plantain Leaf, Chickweed Herb, Pine Tar, Mutton Tallow &
Beeswax.

Plantain is wonderful for bites and almost everyone had a patch of it nearby - we have it all over the yard. Long skinny leaves growing in a cluster on the ground, with a single flower stalk that grows out of it.
Crush the leaves and make a paste, cover with a bandage so you don't make a mess.