Rebeccas journal-it ran!!!!!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just one thing, if you use the plastic from the hardware store, it may not last long enough to get your seeds started and in the ground. (Ask me how I know.)

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It has rained and snowed all day. Starting to freezing rain now. The pipes in the back bathroom froze and broke Saturday night. Saturday we spent the day cleaning out the shed and I was covered in dust, and "stuff" only to get in and realize the pipes were broken. They had only froze in the back and since we never use the back I didn't know it! So we were without water over the weekend. I got under the house and found why they had frozen and why the furnace used so much gas. All the insulation had fallen out from under the house and was shredded and dangling. So I guess while I have the dumpster I will pull out the old insulation and put in new. I just happen to have a roll that was given to me that should do most of it! One of the duct pipes had also come loose. I also have a drain pipe to fix that goes from the tub. And I need to put in shut off valves to the back so I can turn off the water back there and still have it in the rest of the house. :th oh well I guess it has to be done even though I was quite happy living in ignorance of what was going on under there. Did I mention I HATE close spaces? Anyway I am going to convert one of the sheds I'm cleaning out into a chicken house and the other I'm going to fix up for storage. I finally finished tilling the garden the other day when it was warm. The greenhouse is almost finished but still has no heat. I put down some nonslip black plastic stuff that came out of a shop down to help hold the heat. It's a pretty big piece and covers most of the floor. Right now the dumpster and emptying out the sheds is priority along with the work under the house. Since we never use the back I just capped the lines for now. All my other projects are on hold. I am so excited that those sheds are finally going to be empty!!!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Sounds like you got quite a bit done! And, putting that insulation in should help w/your heating bills.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well today I got almost nothing done. Why? I don't know. I drove a friend of ours to the dr. And helped him fill out some paperwork. Gave the kids to their dad for the weekend. Then fiddled with the incubator and wished for some eggs to be in it! I fed and wandered around the yard and envisioned my new chicken pen and where I was going to plant my berries. Oh and covered the dumpster with a tarp. I have to pay for all that weight and I don't want to be paying extra for soggy stuff that weighs 3 times as much. Yesterday I cleaned out the shed that will be my new chicken house and feed room. The friend that I took to the drs wants me to do a garden at his house on shares with him! I'm all for it. Never too much garden space. This year I plan on doing better than I did last year. He knows nothing about gardening. He just knows he wants maters, okra, and squash for sure. I may plant a couple of rows of corn over there too. He was ready to start sticking seeds in the ground today! Lol He also has some chicken wire he said I could have for my new chicken pen! Lately I just keep feeling like the more I do the more things seem to get behind. I think I have too many projects going on at once and last night the little one was cranky and the oldest had an ear infection and was whiney and for some reason I just could not get any sleep. It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow so I guess I can get caught up on inside stuff. I need to go through things and chunk about half of the clutter in this house. Insulation and underpinning need to be finished, greenhouse still needs the door hung, seeds need to be started, shed not done yet cleaned out, chicken pen built, door fixed on one of the sheds, there's more but I just can't think of it all and today I did none of it. I think I'll just crawl in bed and pray for energy for tomorrow. Yes I'm whiney too. It rubbed off.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:hugs I had one of those days the other day too hun. I know how you feel, and the stankin weather doesn't help matters! Hopefully my greenhouse will be finished tomorrow :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
That's about how I feel right about now. I think part of it is I have so much to do, but still have to be careful that I'm feeling overwhelmed.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
When I get overwhelmed that is when I am more likely to shut down and do nothing...I know, it defeats the whole thing, but..I just take a break when I get like that.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah I've got a lot going on right now and it is a little overwhelming sometimes. Today I woke up tired and sore. I felt like I had worked out hard. I can work outside all day chopping wood and not be this sore the next day! Anyway I was determined NOT to let another day go to waste so I made myself do something. I cleaned on the remaining shed(the one I want to convert to a canning shed!), and I cleaned house and rearranged to fit in the incubator, did laundry, and decided that putting in the new insulation under the house could wait until I had help. I really hate it under there, but it HAS to be done. I'll probably do it Monday when ds is back and can help me. I'm also going to move the trampoline frame arch and use it for a grape arbor for the grape vines I need to get in the ground. That'll have to wait till Monday too.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Sounds like you got enough done to say you were busy at least :) Good job!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today I got my rear in gear. It was such a beautiful day!!! Still a little cool, and windy, so jackets stayed on. Otherwise it was a pretty day. I got the old fiberglass insulation raked up and in the dumpster, got the last shed almost completely done, the door put back together and back on, and about a third of the new insulation back up. Also checked fence because I'm going to keep a horse for a while and the kids' mini is coming back. We also put taters, turnips, lettuce and peas in the ground. I have plastic to cover them with if we get any more hard freezes(which is likely). I lost my phone at one point and I just knew it was in the dumpster! I finally walked over to the neighbors house and had her call my number lol. DD found it. I was sooooo relieved! It finally started getting dark and I wrapped it up outside and came in. The girls had been inside and the house was a wreck! There were toys from their room across the kitchen and into the living room. They had also let in the puppies and the kitchen trash was dumped and scattered and those stinking puppies were right in the middle of it tearing away. Anyway my rear end is dragging, but at least I made progress. Putting the door back on the old shed felt great. I got more satisfaction from that than anything else I did today. This poor place is falling apart, but I'm slowly getting it put back together and cleaned up.