Savingdogs-Saving the chickens

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Bindi Jo seems to know the scent of us "feeling bad" is what I think she interprets. She also responds the same way to sadness. She basically comes and sits on the person and studies them, licks wounds, and tries to find ways to curl up next to or on top of you. She is a small dog (about 50 pounds) so she can fit into a small space next to you. But she has a particular expression she wears when she is worried.
Our Cassie dog does the same thing. It is good to have a nurse dog around the house when you are feeling bad.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Sounds like you are much more attuned to your instincts than most people.
Hoorah for being feral :)

Auntie, I think that sort of show would annoy the snot out of me. LOL!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Oh, I would love that show. I'll have to see if Hubby can download it for me. Not everything he finds is closed captioned. I felt like those books were very instructive. I haven't read the final one.....the reviews were so utterly horrible, I didn't have the heart to read more than the first three chapters. I don't want to be disappointed with Auel. But I do think she made me think along different lines about things in a very basic way. Auel understood what it would be like to literally live off of the land and I had never really pictured that before. It is too bad she didn't create a greater conflict for Ayla in the last book, sounds like she was too in love with her own character to make her do anything imperfect. If Ayla had to fight for acceptance with Jondolar's cave, it would have made for a better end story. But at least she didn't have Ayla invent the wheel. I was afraid that was coming next. LOL

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I enjoyed Auel's books, even though she squished I dunnamany generations of inventions into one lifetime. They are right in my interests with cultural anthropology. I would love to find that Caveman show online (we don't have tv)- is it available?

I have the same trouble you do with needing closed captioning SD, although my hearing loss is apparently just an accelerated version of normal age-related hearing loss. It's apparently a family trait- my father had it, and I recently found out my younger brother has it too. Unfortunately, we can't afford hearing aids, so I just do the best I can. I depend on the dogs to let me know if there's something going on outside that needs to be checked out.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I HATE what a poor job they do of closed captioning much of the time. It is appalling. I was thinking of writing a little journal of the silly misspellings, like when they use the word please instead of police on the news, or similar errors on the news especially.

My hearing loss is probably similar to yours. I can hear sounds, I can tell the TV is on, I just can't distinguish words. I turn the sound on however because it helps me in the overall understanding.

Hubby uses Hulu to download many shows he likes to watch these days. Unfortunately, they usually are not closed captioned. And I don't go to the movies in theatres anymore, so I end up watching regular television. I watch mostly cooking shows these days however.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got 14 right; it would have been 15 except I let hubby talk me into a wrong answer, lol. I found a couple of youtube videos from the show, but I don't think it was all of them, and it didn't give you any order to watch them

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
So I get the dumbell award this morning. The back porch light went out last night, but this morning I let the dogs out the back door in the wee hours of the morning, including Bandit-the-chicken-killer, because I wrongly thought the chickens would all still be in bed. I'm peering out the window and can't see what became of Bandit because of the dark, but the other dogs looked nervous so I called her back.....

and she had my chicken Scratch in her mouth, dead. My beautiful roo. What was he doing up so early? I'm sooooooooo mad at her. I wish we could get her another home, I'm THAT mad. This is her 4th chicken she has killed in three years. At least it was an "extra" roo, but I wanted to KEEP that one. I tried to prep him to eat and just couldn't finish, I'm a failure at chicken processing. I just keep crying. Hubby was all dressed for work and he couldn't help me, but he came through the kitchen as I'm trying and finally said, "It was just a chicken, why don't you just bury it?" So I hung it on the front of Bandit's cage while I yelled at her and gave her my best impression of a very ANGRY SD. I know it is her instinct to be this kind of dog, but being an escape artist combined with chicken killer is a bad combo. It makes it really hard to manage her. We have resorted to walking her on a leash only, and I was occasionally letting her out in the yard when I thought it was "safe". But apparently that isn't working very well. These EEs fly too well and don't stay penned up, even with clipped wings.

I did not really need two roosters and still have Uh Oh, who is a very pretty rooster, so I guess I should be glad that I won't be feeding two roos over the winter. I could not decide between the two of them, and now I don't need to worry, the choice has been made for me. But I really liked Scratch, he was one of the most beautiful chickens I have ever seen.

I just don't know what to do about Bandit. Karelian bear dogs are NOT good for farms.