Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
1 1/2 cups mik, water or whey
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp molasses
3 3/4 cups flour. ( i use whole wheat but I have used white in the past and it works fine---if it is too wet, add a bit more flour, slowly)
I mix this int he bread maker. Once the dough is ready, divide into ttwo loavesand put in greased loaf pans. Let rise for 50-60 mintues.
Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, till top is a nice golden brown colour. Remove and let sit for 15 mintues and then remove from loaf pan to cool on wire rack. Wait at least an hour before slicing it. and an elelctric knife is recommended.

This makes awesome sandwich bread. I have been making it for about 7 years.
Mmmm! This sounds good!! I'm going to have to try this!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp molasses
3 3/4 cups flour. ( i use whole wheat but I have used white in the past and it works fine---if it is too wet, add a bit more flour, slowly)
I mix this int he bread maker. Once the dough is ready, divide into ttwo loavesand put in greased loaf pans. Let rise for 50-60 mintues.
Bake at 400 F for 15 minutes, till top is a nice golden brown colour. Remove and let sit for 15 mintues and then remove from loaf pan to cool on wire rack. Wait at least an hour before slicing it. and an elelctric knife is recommended.

Thanks MTN! I think Im gonna try this tuesday. Butter tommorow though!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I will have to try this. Maybe tomorrow, but really tomorrow is for strawberry jam. And, I made butter from some ageing whipping cream that my SO bought and didn't use. And I made buttermilk biscuits with the buttermilk. So, leftover biscuits, strawberry jam and home made butter tomorrow!

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Instead of adding the gluten - for those of us who can't have that stuff (and even those of you who can) - try adding an extra egg or two to your sandwich bread recipe.

It makes it light, fluffy and hold together better. ;)
ohh I will definitely be trying this!!! Especially since I cannot have gluten.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Do I use self rising, MTN? And would a duck egg hurt it?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
3 parts flour, 1 part water, about 1 T yeast, and 1 t salf per loaf.

It may not be the recipe that's the problem. You may need to practice slicing bread. It didn't come to me without a few crooked loaves. Soon, you'll be an expert and you can cut bread to any thickness you want.

Also, moist bread can be difficult to slice... Cook it until there's a good crust. The inside of the bread should be 200 oF or more.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp molasses

This is almost exactly the recipe I use (I don't add molasses but will next time, and I add yeast) and I don't use a bread machine. I hand knead for 5 minutes, cover and let rise until doubled, then divide and place into loaf pans and let rise again. It is an awesome sandwich bread, although one loaf always gets cut and devoured with olive oil or butter as soon as it comes out of the oven.

miss_thenorth... how does your bread rise without the addition of yeast?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have MTN bread in the pans rising right now. I added a duck egg and some yeast. I will let you guys know how it goes!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot! I learned that I get a lot better texture if I knead for just a few minutes, cover and let it rest for 20 minutes, then knead again for 8 minutes.
Something about letting the gluten relax (etc etc, can't remember now). It was also suggested to not add the salt until the last kneading (again, I can't remember why, something to do with the gluten again), but for some reason that bugged me. It was just weird kneading salt into the dough. I have to admit, that was the best bread I had ever made.

But tons of kneading!