Someday Farm, yup someday it will all be just the way i want it..........

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
been so busy lately, i have four sisters and have spent the last few days taking one or the other to a doctor apt, one to an eye apt, one to the grocery store because her car has a flat and going to one's house twice a day to take care of her goats and dogs while she is visiting folks in texas so i haven't been doing much but drive by posting lately. now don't get me wrong i love them all dearly, since mom died a few weeks ago we are all we each have.
along with all that i got a new out building from a friend of mine. she didn't want it and was going to sell it so i said me, me, me please and got a 10x16 metal storage building for $100 plus $250. to move it so a really nice building for a total of $350. what a deal, huh.. i plan on moving my kiln and glass work "stuff" to it and just use for my work shop and use the other building i have just for storage. the guy that does my electrical work will be here in a couple of weeks to wire it then i'll be good for go;).
several of the goats have been in heat and just begging me to please let the buck loose but i didn't want Feb. babies so everyone is still separated much to their dismay. i have sold several milking does and kids this fall and will only freshen four does and keep two kids unbred this next years. that number is unreal to me, i haven't had this few does in years and years but i am determined to lower my work load in the next year. i don't plan to raise a calf this year or butcher hogs either. i have a hog and two wethers who will be ready for freezer camp in about a month and a steer who will be butchered next fall so between freezing and canning meat i don't think i'll need anything else for a year or so. that will give me more time to concentrate on the garden and things around the house.
picked the last squash yesterday and put them in the cellar to cure. i love butternut squash and the fact that all four of them came from a volunteer vine that came up from where i had cleaned one last fall. gotta love it when mother nature shares. tomatoes are about done. had one black krim plant that still had several tomatoes and blooms on it but it was blown over in a storm the other night and the chickens and ducks got to it before i found it the next morning and ate every darn tomato almost ripe, pink or green critters!!
i have a serious question to ask, how can one old cat, one old dog and one old woman manage to make such a mess in a house in less than a week. we are all lazy but come on how bad can we be?? if any of you have a reasonable answer let me know. you all have a blessed evening.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When you find out, could you please let me know?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
glass work? kiln?

I used to make glass beads, back in the 90's and early 2000's. I ended up letting it slide to make wire-wrap jewelry instead, but I well remember the fun I had in my studio, carefully trying to apply dots to ball of molten glass with the sweat dripping off my forehead into my eyes.... heehee! Really though, I loved making them, just wasn't all that good at it.
Here's one of my wire wrap rings
Garnetring2.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's cuz dirt multiplies....doesn't need any help at all, lol!

So sorry for your loss. :hugs

Beautiful ring, Britesea!

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sort to hear about the loss Britesea :hugs
Sounds like a busy busy week...
My twinnie makes jewelry sometimes in the little work shop attached to our house and glory be it gets hot in there! You've got a really lovely wrap peice there, can I ask what kind of stone is it?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @Myhouseisazoo2, that particular ring is a garnet, set in 14K gold fill. The woman that bought it ended up being my best friend later... small world!
I think the most spectacular "hot" thing that ever happened to me though, was the day I accidentally set fire to my hair because I had an itch on my ear and reached up to scratch it without thinking that I was holding a rod of glass, the end of which was about 1500F... Luckily no injury except to my dignity and my hair.

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:) I thought it was garnet and wanted to make sure, we've met a lot of people through her hobby of jewelry things. I tried my hand at it but I'm not as good at it, and only ended up doing a few pieces due to my short attention and frustration/low patience at the time. I want to get back into it since I've started collecting my chickens feathers and think they'll make lovely earrings!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Britesea you did a really nice wire wrap. my older sister does silver work with her jewelry and does beautiful work. for the most part i do slump work to make bowls, plates etc. and fusing for jewelry. i haven't been able to do any of this for the past several years and am so looking forward to getting back to it. i have boxes of glass and supplies that have just been waiting on me for years and I'm excited to get things sorted out and get started. hard having to wait for the electrician. went to an estate sale last weekend and found a glass grinder and stained glass foiler for cheap and brought them home with me.
it has been raining here a lot lately and has hard to get things done outside. have to finish cleaning out the garden, get the green house moved when it dries out some. so much to do and so little energy....

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
slowly but surely getting things ready for winter. most of the garden has been cleaned, tubs filled with goat barn 'stuff' to let continue to compost till spring. moved the buck to his new area, further away from the does to keep him and them out of trouble.
was watching mama daphnee duck and her two late hatchlings on the pond evening before last when she got out and came up to the house she only had one duckling with her. she looked and looked and called and called for the lostling and so did i but it was no where to be found. literally here one minute and gone the next?? she was still calling the next morning, i felt so bad for her then lo and behold that evening baby duck #2 shows back up??? where it was no one knows and now mama seems to have forgotten who it is and will have nothing to do with it. even going so far as to peck it to keep it away from her and baby #1. since we were suppose to have temps in the 20's last night i just caught both of them and brought them in the house. i figure if she won't take them both then i will. the only down side to that is that now i have two ducks in my house till they grow feathers. thinking its going to be a long winter
we had our first killing freeze last night so i brought the plants i wanted to save in so my living sort of looks like a jungle until i get everything situated, just couldn't stand to see the fern freeze. hope nothing scary is living in there.