Spaghetti squash?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I've always picked them when the outer skin is bright yellow and it pulls off of the vine. I have also canned it and froze it for storage.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am still trying to finish off my spaghetti squash from last year. I usually let my winter squash just lie about until the vine dies. I have really no threat of frost though. Then I gather them up, wipe them down and store in a cool dark place.

g

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have been experimenting with our spaghetti squash this year. We have found that the taste and quality does not change much between when they're green to when they're completely yellow. We have eaten about 6 of them this summer and all of them have been great. We have given about 15 of them away and everyone has told us they were very good.

The continuation of our experiment will be to store a few green ones and a few yellow ones into the winter to see which stores better. I always store them in a cool dark area and they can last for 6 or 7 months with no problem. I always make sure there is adequate air circulation around them while in storage.

Since neither one of us like zucchini, spaghetti squash is the only squash we grow any more.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a similar question. I planted it again this year, but I have some that have a net pattern on the skin. It is green, and the background colour is orangish. Why? It is the same variety, and some of them are white to yellow. Has anyone else experienced this? I usually pick the white ones when they turn yellow. How do I know when to pick these? Maybe they are ok at any stage based on Boogity's experiences.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah hoosier, that's exactly our situation this year too. We have eaten them green, yellow, white and they mostly taste the same and the texture is also the same. DW says she likes the green ones best. I don't notice any difference. So I really don't know when is the optimum time to pick and prepare.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I might be wrong but I think the point of letting them toughen up is so they hold up better in storage. I have read that they were ready when the skin can not be pierced easily with a thumb nail.

Given that, I have eaten some young and white as well.

:hu