SSDreamin Blessings and curses

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
don't allow your dog to 'even nip' at an ear. any sign of mouthing on that little cow should be corrected immediately.

I know, most say it will never happen, but in a second a nip goes to full prey hunt. It actually happens all the time. Teach your dog NOT TO TOUCH livestock.....honestly you will have a better dog for it and livestock that doesn't feel threatened.

just a little info to maybe help ya

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Really?! Yikes! Will keep on him about it then! Figured he was showing her who's boss at this house, but don't want my dog tearing in to my baby!

Thanks Farmerchick!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
chances are your dog would never go hypo on the livestock, but you just never, ever want to give him the opportunity.

even my little Papillion pup tried to run my goats. I corrected that little dog big time and I stopped all critter harrassment....he barely chases the barn cats anymore. with a little lap dog he was in mortal danger cause one of my Boer goats is out to get him big time. and it would kill Bolt if it could that is for sure lol

stand near, guard, be attentive etc are great traits. when they start to 'play' with livestock then it can go further and further very quickly.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made cheese last night! So, it was only mozzarella, and ricotta from the whey, but I did it and it all looks like it's supposed to! Ended up with one pound of mozzarella and about 1/3 cup of ricotta from a store bought gallon of milk, plus plenty of whey for the chickens and plants. I guess that's not too bad for the $2.50 sale price, and it was good practice. DS was unhappy though. He drinks two gallons of milk a week and thought Mom was being extra nice by buying three gallons this week! :D

Something has been munching on my pumpkin plant and killed it. Only got one sugar pumpkin off the vine. The other one (huge vine only produced two pumpkins) is still out there - I am hoping it will still ripen??? :hu

Have to finish up the tomato paste today. Don't think it's supposed to take three days, but it is for me. Eighteen hours in my crockpot resulted in very hot tomato soup, so I transferred it to a pot. While it cooked down, I made cheese. Four hours of cooking on the stove did not eliminate enough 'juice' and I was tired, so I let it cool and stuck it in the frig. Will try again today. I hope it makes a lot, because I'm not liking the time frame for the process! :/

Have been working on keeping Rocky, my dog, away from Ice Cream, per Farmerchick's instructions. So far, so good. He has begun to realize that, if he pesters the heifer, he gets chained up while outside. Being chained up is his least favorite thing, so he has kept his distance and lets her eat in peace.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After spending time on this forum and reading what others manage to accomplish, I feel like a total slacker! :lol:

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
:( I feel like a super slacker. The only thing SS related I manage to accomplish is yelling at my veggies to grow. You are really out there get'n it done! :bow

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
D of C - I am just foolish enough to figure 'why not?' and just try it, whatever 'it' may be :lol:

Today was SO MUCH cooler! Dug up the potatoes in my garden. Got 95% reds, 5% whites. Guess I know what kind I'll be getting when DS and I go potato picking tomorrow! I got about 1/3 of an oval laundry basket, off of 16 plants. Will try to post a picture later.

Pulled up one peanut, and realized they aren't quite ready yet. Hung that to dry and picked the squash and pumpkin that was hanging on the fence. Pulled the onions that had died off. Wondering if I should've left them in to overwinter? They were very small. Hmmmm

Went and picked up the well pump from the place I dropped it off at two weeks ago. I had called on Tuesday and told them I wanted it tested and ready by today. Well, when I walked in the door, I saw the thing sitting in the exact same spot I had dropped it off in. Never even touched it :somad For. Two. Weeks. Lady gave me a sob story about how the guy was kinda sick this week. OK, that explains this week. What about LAST week? Why is it still in the same spot I left it in 2 weeks ago?! :rant So, we are no closer to having a working well at the new house than we were on Labor Day. Told DH I am seriously considering opening it up, slathering vasoline on every seal, and giving it a try that way. Don't know any trustworthy repair place down here, or up home, for that matter. May have to call my Dad for a recommendation :/ Prefer to mess up a $2,800 piece of equipment by greasing the seals myself! I really don't want another lecture on my total incompetence and foolish endeavors.

By the way, I quit smoking. Two days and counting. :barnie My longest quitting streak to date is 4 days. I think the dog and my son are both ready for me to move out and live with the heifer until the crabbiness subsides! Can't wait until my chimney of a husband comes home tomorrow - that will be the true test! :he

Latest posts