SSDreamin Blessings and curses

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Very nice, I always wondered what it looked like. I like the look of big pig, she is huge!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Very nice, I always wondered what it looked like. I like the look of big pig, she is huge!
The processor called today for us to pick up - she was over 300# :woot Bacon, ham, chops and sausage :drool I can't wait!

Sorry I haven't had time to post anything for a while. The GOOD news is: DH is back to work!! :ya Unfortunately, it's on a specialty project, out of town :hit He started this past Tuesday and the project should probably take 3 weeks. Then, hopefully, the project closer to home will be ready for him, and he'll be able to come home EVERY NIGHT!!!! As most of you know, I am not a very strong believer, but I will say that God does provide, even for lowly wishy-washy people like me :D
Now, I am doing my chores, plus his. Since I've gotten so fat (ok, fatter :lol: ) and lazy with him home doing a big chunk of the work, I am getting wore out! Plus, as soon as he left, the place fell apart - culminating with the dog becoming sick, repeatedly. On the couch, on the rug, on the floor :sick I have been hauling two loads of wood/day, along with all the outside chores, on top of my usual work. I miss hubby :hit I don't like all this work :lol:

We had a nice Easter - I cooked up the 22# ham that was taking up too much space in the freezer (the last of the meat from the pig we split with DH's Aunt & Uncle). It was SOOOOO good! I made split pea soup on Monday with some of the leftover, froze a ham 'roast' for another Sunday dinner in the future, ate ham and cheese sandwiches for dinner on Tuesday and yesterday, and still have a bunch left to can up! Also tried making some potato rolls out of J.C.'s cookbook - they were so yummy! I made ONE batch, which made 31 rolls :th So we used rolls as bread, and I used up the rest in a french toast bake I prepped last night for tonight's dinner. I must remember to make only a half batch from now on!

DH finished up a few projects before he left. The surround/bookcase on the wood stove wall is done; and turned out great. He also hung my stained glass panels! :weee DH was disappointed, because he had to use chain on the top (he wanted the 'hangers' to be invisible, so they look like they were just floating in the openings, but everything we tried wasn't strong enough :hu ).

Here is the opening, before the panels. This WAS just a solid wall with a doorway opening in the middle of it. Since DH had to rebuild the whole wall, we redesigned it to be more open to the living room/entryway, but still be it's own separate space:

3767_kitchen_entrance1.jpg

This is the after picture (we left space on the inside of each panel to install columns, if we decide they're 'needed' ):

3767_kitchen_entrance2.jpg

Sorry they are so dark :hide
Also wanted to say that, to the left of these, is the front door. The door that was in when we bought this place, had a stained glass panel in it- with reds, blues, greens (and yellows) in it. So, these panels tie in nicely, I think. Can't take pictures of it to show though, as it was unpainted and we have several 'test spots' of different color paints on it, to live with/chose from right now :p

Here is a close up of one of the panels. I made these 11+ years ago, for a cabinet DH was working on in the house we lived in at the time. We decided to go a different way with it and have been hauling these things around ever since :p DH made the frames for them, and now they finally have a home!

3767_stained_glass_2.jpg

I don't have any pictures of the bookcases yet - the chicks are in the dog crate, on one side, tossing bedding all over the place :rolleyes: so I'm waiting until they move outside to snap a shot of hubby's handiwork there.
My seedling starting attempts have failed miserably, again this year :barnie I am scrapping them all and starting over :he So terribly frustrating! I have no trouble with germination. They come up and begin to grow great. Once they get their first true leaves, overnight they become COVERED in gray fuzz and die off. I have been watching videos from a guy on utube that seem to be more my speed (basically a 'starting seedlings for the totally inept' series :lol: ) that I am going to try. :fl

Need to get back to work. Ugh.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Sorry about your seedlings. I've had no luck w/the peppers I planted-they never came up, and my eggplants disappeared. :hu My tomatoes look good, and are getting their 2nd leaves. But, I'm not overly sure about my broccoli and cauliflower.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I love your stained glass panels and the open look of the walk through. my bell peppers haven't come up yet either. Sure hope they do as we use lots of them!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sorry about the seedlings! It stinks I know. How do you start yours? We use a waterbed, and it is very, very reliable.

The rennovations look nice :thumbsup

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I like the panels too, and that looks like a great use for them! Very nice :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry I'm such a huge slacker! BB: I start my seedlings just like Jackie does. She and I have similar weather, so I *hoped* that, if I did mine like she does, it would work. Not so much :/ I am on my THIRD batch of seeds, and they are not doing too well :rant

Thanks for the kudos - I'll pass them on to the hubster, as if he needs a fatter head! :lol:

No real time to post, but thought I should update with the bad news: Blue Pig Girl went to the processor this past Friday :hit She turned into a master escape artist after her sister left. The one day, she TUNNELED out, under ALL the fencing! Went to visit the neighbors horses. FIL, DS#2 and I tried getting her into the trailer, so I could do some thorough repairs to her fencing, but she escaped my fancy baling twine halter ( :p ) and we ended up putting her back in the pen. I had her in the barn to begin with, but she trashed the place and started tunneling out! DS & I did our best to repair the fence damage and fill in the tunnel. Our ground is so soft right now though, it was easy for her to just re-dig someplace else. The dog let us know the next day that she was IN OUR FRONT YARD - and running around in our other neighbors front yard :rolleyes: I got my gun, just in case she refused to come to me anymore (she was MAD the day before - even tried to bite me!). Well, I didn't need it - she came right to me and followed me in the barn. I tied an EXTRA fancy baler twine halter, tied her to the center support post, and hoped she'd stay put until hubby got home from work. When he did, we finagled her into the trailer, and took her to the processor :hit I admit it, I cried. I told DH, the only thing harder would've been if I'd had to use my .380. I know, I know: Rules of the farm, never get attached, blah, blah. :hit

I rendered half the 42# of leaf fat I got from the processor. Not as happy with this batch. Either I'm doing it wrong (which is a distinct possibility), or over-winter fat renders down differently than fall fat. So far, I have 4 qts of lard that is only good for frying/soap making, and 3 1/2 qts of 'mid-grade' lard (beautiful, creamy white, but very porky smelling when used). I have to wait for the blisters on my hand to heal before I cut up the rest of the fat. I know, I'm a wimp! :hide

I am also in the process of canning up a bunch of pork, so we can make room for a whole other pig in the freezer. I'm also trying to make some Mountain Dew jelly for Christmas gifts this year. I can't put it off any longer, as I keep staring at the bottle like this :drool :drool I have a strong affinity for Dew... Yes, I know it's a mass of chemical toxic sludge, but I can't help myself! :lol:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Fix you a water bed! You'll never want nothing else! :D I'm sorry for your seedling :hugs

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I guess it has been a while hasn't it?! So much has gone on around here since I've been gone! I'll try to give y'all the abridged version:
*We bought a horse! A gorgeous Haflinger gelding. He immediately bonded to hubby. Being horse-illiterate, we didn't realize the owner had drugged him, we assume w/ reserpine. Long-story-short, he passed away from a severe bout of colic (a hefty vet bill - the 2nd time he did it, the vet spent 3 hours here doing everything he could think of to save him, but Mikey passed the next day). Hubby was heartbroken and swore we'd never get another.
*We had picked up a POA/QH cross as a pasture pal for Mikey. Jim the horse was a sweetie, until Mikey passed. From there on out, everything spooked him. I had been working with him, until DS#2 begged to ride, I let him, and Jim tossed him. Had to cut the saddle off, after I got him calmed down enough to be able to approach him. I had been working with him (got another saddle on him and was walking him around with it on) when winter came, buried us and never left.
*Just bought a 10 month old Haflinger filly as a pal for Jim and to train the way we want. Ariel (the guys HATE her name, and are willing to except April as a replacement, so April from here on out) is a calm, friendly curious and 'whatever you want' little girl! A good friend (who raises horses) helped us pick her out. She has already helped Jim not be so afraid of everything and she hasn't even been here a week! Hubby had picked her out ;)
*Hubby quit working for the company he was with. He was headhunted by a great company, and we decided to make the jump. So far, he's only been laid off for the two weeks of Christmas & New Year and he enjoys his job.
*During the brief lay off, we remodeled the bathroom. As is usual for me, I forgot to take before pictures :hide
I am SO pleased with the way it's turning out (we ran out of time, so some finishing touches aren't done yet). We used a tub I got for cheap at auction, an auction mirror ($3! And it's HUGE!) and the glass tile we'd calculated for it before using it in the kitchen. I actually got to help more this time - while the guys were at deer camp, I sanded the wooden parts of the vanity, painted the veneer parts (wasn't sure how that would turn out but :wootyou really CAN paint veneer and not have it scratch right back off!)
*I attempted to start a business - selling natural skin care products. Not going so well. I lack confidence in my abilities, which is NOT helping sell product :\
I have LOTS of pictures and stories, but no time to post today - it is 47 degrees here today!!! :celebrate We have 36 inches of snow on the ground, so it isn't exactly shorts weather, but I can actually go outside in JUST A SWEATSHIRT! No gloves, no heavy barn coat, no hat....it's almost like summer! :weee
So, I'm out of here! Hopefully, I'll remember my password, and get back on to post pictures and stories to bore everybody to tears!
AND WE'RE 90% SURE ICE CREAM IS PREGNANT!!! :ya