Storing gas on the cheap and small?

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Add stabil to it. You can get it at any automotive department. We have enough 6 5gal containers that we keep full for the generators. Once every month or two we will put it in the car and refill the cans.

Big_White

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If you dont add a stabilizer such a stabil to it. Then your looking at anywhere from, 5-6 months, +/- depending on the climate, and humidity, etc. Be careful no moisture reaches it tho especially with ethanol being put in gas nowadays, it pulls water right outta the air, and then it bye bye gas, hello paintthinner. Hope that helps

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was told that the small-engine variety (no ethanol) stores pretty well. Someone else told me that you should buy the highest octane you can find, and that'll keep for a year.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
I was told that the small-engine variety (no ethanol) stores pretty well. Someone else told me that you should buy the highest octane you can find, and that'll keep for a year.
Your correct. If you read the label on Stabil you will see that all it is, is an octane boost. High grade premium is all I ever put in my gas cans. Use it in my lawn mower, Chain saw, rototiller etc. Some of those tools overwinter with gas in them and I have never had a problem with the gas going bad. Regular unleaded is fine in the truck as it is never idle that long,

TheMartianChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We store gas in "found" and discarded gas cans. The price of gas cans is outrageous. We have them in all sizes from 1 gallon on up to a 5 gallon can and never paid for any of them. Last fall I did pick up a 2 gallon can for $2 at Family Dollar. It was on clearance and I figured it was a pretty good price!