Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I have a praise to offer! Answers to prayer are flowing in.....(Farm, twelve this month!!!!) :weee :weee :weee :weee :bow To God go the glory because it certainly wasn't of my doing! :D
To God be the glory! Truly great things He hath done. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll continue to pray that God's will be done.

What do you all feel about praying for prosperity? I don't necessarily mean financial....just life in general. I've never really prayed for riches, material things, fame or fortune and I don't intend to do so now....but there is something in particular that I really want and it will glorify God.

Is it a bad thing to pray a little selfishly or for maybe selfish reasons? In the course of glorifying God, I'd like a smidgen of success myself and I am feeling pretty bad about even wanting that. I know scripture states that He wants to prosper us but I can tell you that, though He has provided for me and mine very well, I don't know if how we've lived could be called "prosperity". Is wanting a small level of success a bad thing to pray for?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Here's what our preacher preached upon today....ways in which we know the Bible is the Word of God and the infallible truth:

<< 2 Peter 1 >>
New International Version

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17For he received honor and glory from God the Father when the voice came to him from the Majestic Glory, saying, This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.a 18We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.

19And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophets own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<< 2 Peter 1 >>
He listed, among other valid points, that the Bible is one of the most enduring manuscripts documented in the world today, it has a central theme that is consistent and repeated accurately over 1200 years by over 40 different authors from all different walks of life(theme~Jesus Christ), it has over 1000 fulfilled prophecies that came true 100% of the time, it spoke of the scientific facts of the presence of genetic DNA codes, the Earth being round, that the moon had no light of it's own power and many other things that we have only discovered through science in the past several centuries~in a book written over 2000 years ago.

The message was rivetting ....when it comes out online I hope to download it to my archives.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
That sounds like one I would enjoy......I love reading about stuff like that. I read a book last spring about it.........

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Bee, read James 4 I think it is. It says that you have not because you ask not, and you ask and receive not because you ask amiss, that you may consume it upon your lusts. God WANTS to give us good things. The question we need to ask is why do we want it, because we want it for ourselves, or to glorify God with? A little story for you.

For as long as I can remember, I wanted a horse. The desire never waned, all the time I was growing up, having kids, etc. But the thing I struggled with was the cost. After all, it's expensive to care for a horse, and I was afraid that owning a horse was a selfish desire. Then I was in my accident. The neurologist that I saw recommended horse back riding as therapy. It was a few years after that that I met RU. I leased a horse off of her for a few months, then prayed 1x for a chestnut Arabian mare. Shortly after that, RU called me, wanting to know if I wanted a chestnut Arabian mare-for free! The owner had died, and they just wanted to find a good home for her. That's how I got Binty. And I've found myself telling that story over and over again. Then I lost her to colic, and I got Misty-as an unhandled 5 yo Arabian mare. It was heart breaking to lose Binty, but Misty is a much better horse. God took something from me to give me something better. I don't know how many people I"ve been able to witness to because of owning horses.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Thank you, Deb! I love that story!!! I've been feeling the same way and I'm familiar with the scripture you mentioned...I'm just not good at getting gifts. Ever know someone like that? I've given away all my life and am very uncomfortable getting something...it always makes me feel unworthy of the gift and that someone else needs it more than I. Life conditioning, I guess.

I'm going to continue to pray about it and it sort of is like your horse, in a way. I've always been good at something, I've always wanted to do it and see if I could succeed at it and I've never had an opportunity in my life to really do it without distractions until now...and I really, really want it to succeed. I even need it to in order to have a dream come true....does that make sense? To feel like everything in my life led up to this moment and not to succeed at it would leave me feeling discouraged, though I don't want to have that much riding on the dream.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bee I know exactly what you mean about receiving gifts. I am the same way. I feel like I am meant to give of myself and it just doesn't feel right to receive anything. As for asking for something if it is to his glory then ask. He wants us to glorify Him and if it makes you happy then maybe this is something He is putting in your heart to do. Just like He put it in my heart to stand for my marriage to be restored and when it is it will be his doing and to His mighty glory.