The Bread Thread - including quick breads, gluten-free and grain-free

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
unbleached flour, cracked wheat, yeast, salt, and a little sugar in the warm water to get the yeast going. if you want the cracked wheat to be softer in the bread you can pre-soak it in some warm water for a half hour or so.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is the BH&G Biscuits Supreme. Ate these many times a week as a kid because it was cheap dinner bread. This is also the recipe that we consistently won with at the county fair.

Mom would sit down at the kitchen table with us 3 kids and read the recipe. We each had a bowl and the measuring cup was passed around for each ingredient. We had to make our own entry. 4 biscuits to be entered and she'd pick the best 4. I think by youngest brother was 5 when we started doing this. We consistently beat out most of the adults. It was open class.

2 C flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 C butter
2/3 C milk

Mix dry ingredients. Cut in butter until course crumbs. Make well in center and add milk all at once. Stir until moistened.

Turn out dough on lightly floured surface. Kneed by folding and pressing until nearly smooth. Do not over kneed. Pat or roll to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut out 2 1/5 inch biscuits.

Bake 1 inch apart on ungreased sheet. 450° for 10-12 minutes.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a tube of biscuits that were old. I baked them last nite. Uck. Hubs and son at them, but the rest are going to the chickens.

I'll try this one! and imagine the four of you at your kitchen table! :)

It probably was cute. Little kids carefully measuring.

Dad was insistent that my brothers learn to cook for themselves even if I'm the one who helped Mom with dinner. She started us all pretty young on baking. She tried getting my nieces into it, but it hasn't really stuck with them. The youngest still wants to make stuff.

Oldest niece is 14. She didn't do anything around the house to help (SIL fault) and brother finally got fed up with it a few months ago and said she had to learn to do a few chores and help cook. SIL complained to Mom who's "I had all my kids doing that in the single digits. They are needed life skills." SIL wasn't happy that Mom didn't agree that it was unneeded to learn.

Niece has been fine with her few chores and is happy when she cook something everyone likes.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My boys are proud of their baking skills.

DS16 is learning how to adjust bread dough by feel. He is learning why techniques and finer details matter. He can make pie/pastry dough from scratch, using different techniques.

DS8 can make biscuits and pancakes from scratch. (He still needs help with the oven, of course.) He is getting pretty good at rolling out sugar cookie dough. He likes decorating cakes/cupcakes. 🥰

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i think everyone should know safe food prep and cook some basic dishes of various kinds (plus how to do dishes and put food away) - bread fits in this part.

proper nutrition is also important.

how to do laundry (ironing is not a life skill IMO :) ), minor sewing/repair and how to clean the house.

gardening and basic canning (including when to know when to pressure can vs. everything else).

how to start a fire and basic first aid are also good things to know.