The Cultured Pickle on The Splendid Table

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I love listening to The Splendid Table while I clean the kitchen. This past archived show talks about pickles:
http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/listings/shows09_09.html
Click on September 12, 2009 and it is at at about 13:45 minutes in.

From a shop called the Cultured Pickle in Berkley, they discuss not only Kombucha, but also the history of Japanese pickles which was fascinating. Pickle mediums consist of burying the vegetables in used Saki dregs, so strong that they are used more as a condiment.

Which led me to this amazing video from the Cultured Pickle!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pul3Hr8tvJY

"pickling without salt is called composting" lol!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I loved The Splendid Table too but can't find it up here. I know they have it, I just miss it and then forget. Thanks for sharing!!

:thumbsup

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm so glad I'm not the only NPR junkie here :lol:

I *love* the splendid table! She is so knowledgeable without ever approaching food snoot. And her voice is like buttah, I love listening to her.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
My local NPR station quit carrying her so I go straight to her website. I like the archive because I can listen everyday if I want, not just once per week. It downloads smoothly on dial up, too :cool:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I just finished the youtube video, AMAZING!!!! That lady is so cool!

Thanks so much Sylvie for sharing. I am even more inspired to lacto ferment all my garden's bounty this summer...I CANT WAIT!

:thumbsup

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am a pickle fool and love to have pickled veggies on my salad...I just have never tried to pickle them by myself yet...I think I could give that a try...seems simple enough.

**runs off to do some reading**

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Gettinaclue,

This is by far the easiest method of "pickling" I have ever tried. Just cover with salt water and a bit of whey and store weighted down in a dark area of the kitchen. I made about 2 gallons of fermented pickles with garlic last summer!

This year, I planted two types of cucumber and a unique Mexican gherkin specifically for fermenting pickles.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Now that you mention better methods of pickling things, I grew pepperoncini peppers one year. The seedsman provided instructions to pickle using vinegar and they turned out terrible. I might see if I can find those seeds to plant and use the salt and whey this time.
The better ones do taste more brined! I forgot all about those, thanks you guys! I'm stoked! :D

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a thread up for conversation related to this - what you fermented in - where you stored it, recipes..etc.

Please share your knowledge...I'm greedy and I would like all of it please...or as much of it as you're willing to give me. :D