The_whingnut's road to ........................

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just started some seeds for herbs now to pick out the vegetables!
Any suggestions for my climate?

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ordered more seeds, tomatoes, greens, tobacco ......... you know the usual. Making fruit leather, plotting more projects ( I really need to finish few), looking at turning my camping kit into a 96HR prep/camp kit. ;)

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I GOT WORMS :weee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine gave me about 500 worms day before yesterday. they are in the worm buckets and doing the thing they do. i did have a smell from it on day two when i feed them but relised i didn't but enough carbon (brown) stuff into the composting i'm feeding them. :sick

i came home yesterday with the house wide open becuase it stank so bad. Bubbles had the kitchen window open and front door open to get cross breeze. the worms are in the garage. :/

so i had a light bulb moment a friend gave me a new cooler (very nice) and i decided to take my 10yr old beat up cooler and turn it into a compost starter bin for the worm food. we have more veg scraps than worms to eat right now. its sitting outside the temp inside it this morning was 60 deg. so its starting to break down a bit. everythiing for the worms is pulp form the juicer and kitchen scraps i run through the food chopper. should break down faster and make it easier for the worms.

Igot the worms set up better in the buckets by adding more newspaper. i may need to find a way to shred my paper finer than doing it by hand. my cool nieghbor moved this week and left me with a ton of bottled water, beer, some planters and a fire pit. with the weather looking crappy this weekend i think i will be working in the garage again.

if i get luck someone will buy all the crap i have on craigslist so i can free up some space in my garage.

i'm also looking at maybe doing a worm tower in my large planter something to use up our veg scraps effectively without having a large composting bin for the housing office to beach about. instead of using pvc pipe for it i was thinking of using the square wood box tubes we get our metal in at work they are non treated 4"x4" boxes for soft large tubing.

too many ideas and half done projects i really need a weekend to be dry for me to finish some stuff. :he

Such is life.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your commonly used composting worm is the red wiggler also know as the trout worm or pan fish worm most places that sales live bait have them. I got luck a friend had some to spare but I think I need more to process my kitchen scraps.

I've been planting today starting my tomatoes, melons, herbs and tobacco in the hall closet / grow room. Pics to follow.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well due to my laptop crapping out I can not post pics. But we have nice seedlings of tomatoes, tobacco, herbs, and melon going good in the closet grow room. Bubbles and I picked up some compost on Wednesday my little truck was so loaded... it felt like driving a RHIB. I've got the planters full, the worms are doing good, so all in all things aren't too bad here. My comfrey didn't germinate so I'll have to find some more seeds or seedlings. I was thinking of doing more foraging runs this year. Just kinda seeing what's out there. Our local dandelion supply is off limits now in fact I'm dumping out my wine from last year. I found out that the area I picked from gets heavily sprayed. Our lovage, rosemary, thyme, lemon balm, and sage all came back nicely. We all off to the used bookstore and our friends farm. Also found this website www.gardenfork.tv good stuff from new England.

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
PC is back up for now. here are some Pics i was talking about.

planting!

5207_100_4365.jpg

Grow room!
5207_100_4370.jpg

sprouts!
5207_100_4373.jpg

Worms!
5207_100_4376.jpg

5207_100_4377.jpg

AND............................

Bear!
5207_100_4325.jpg

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
don't let the happy cute puppy routine fool you. the fuzzy butt ate dinner last night off the counter while we were in the living room!

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most of my herb seeds didn't germinate, but all of the tobacco seeds did. i ordered 3 different varieties and got the same plant 1500 seeds of them. turns out ppl (including myself) don't do enough research on stuff before buying / selling. but they are germinating like crazy anyone in new england need tobacco?

i tested my emergency cpap battery system last night i only used 1.55 VDC and 4 ah on a 115ah battery. now to build the box and find the right sized solar panel.

hopefully the frost will lay off so we can plant our garden soon.