Tomatoes in pots

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have never done tomatoes in pots before this year. I didn't buy pot loving seeds, as I wasn't intending on living in an apartment at the time of purchase. All my tomatoes are only about 2 inches across AT THE MOST! They are matina and stupice, and are supposed to do well and be super duper early. They are just now finally turning red... for the first time! Granted we live in Western Oregon, but the temperatures have been in the 80s and I have been watering regularly and using a 7-7-7 fertilizer. What gives?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your containers might be too small, and you may be giving them too much Nitrogen in your fertilizer (but I'm not a fertilizer expert). Nitrogen makes greens, it's the Phosphorus and Potash that you want more of for fruits, depending on your soil.

I use really BIG pots (like 24 inches across and at least as deep) and I also use Jobes Organics Vegetable Fertilizer Spikes fertilizer, which is 2-7-4 and labeled for tomatoes and veggies. I only use it once a season for tomatoes, just as the fruits begin to appear, and I put 3 spikes around each plant. They are breaking down gradually but there is still a little bit here and there that hasn't dissolved yet.

My Early Girl, Rutgers and San Marzano plants all have lots of full-size and developing tomatoes, the full size are just turning from green to yellow-green and into orange, my Yellow Pear tomatoes are just getting to size but are still fully green--they'll all begin to ripen over the next couple of weeks.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used 10 gallon tubs with holes drilled in bottom before and with one tomato per pot, they did very well here in western washington. I didn't get good results in the garden this year so I'll have them in pots next year again and put them up against the back of the house (south facing) where it's warmest. I have some potted grapes that have done very well there this year and have enough room for a few more plants since the blueberries will be planted out this fall.

I used the tubs because they are very cheap at walmart and have the rope handles to move easy

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
odd_duck99 said:
I have never done tomatoes in pots before this year. I didn't buy pot loving seeds, as I wasn't intending on living in an apartment at the time of purchase. All my tomatoes are only about 2 inches across AT THE MOST! They are matina and stupice, and are supposed to do well and be super duper early. They are just now finally turning red... for the first time! Granted we live in Western Oregon, but the temperatures have been in the 80s and I have been watering regularly and using a 7-7-7 fertilizer. What gives?
The Matina variety is a 2 to 4 oz tomato so the size at 2 inches is correct. It would probably reach 4 oz in planted in a larger container. Stupice tomato is about 2 inches across and is a 2 oz tomato. They are considered more of saladette size but much larger than cherry tomatos. Both are considered early season and are heirlooms. So relax your tomatos are just perfect.:D