trimming pepper plants???

shaner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
has anyone thought about pruning the leaves off the pepper plants ? iam speaking of the leaves down low on the stalks i sort of thought maybe like i do tomatos taking off the suckers? iam not talking up around where the peppers are growing just down low??

daddykirbs

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I do that. I figure it allows more energy to be used for the fruit.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I never have trimmed my pepper plants, but what do I know?

daddykirbs

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I don't think it's necessary but I do it because I "think" it helps. It may do nothing but make the plant look "better".

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
daddykirbs said:
I don't think it's necessary but I do it because I "think" it helps. It may do nothing but make the plant look "better".
:yuckyuck

Pepper plant haircuts :lol:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
daddykirbs said:
I do that. I figure it allows more energy to be used for the fruit.
You mean the energy that is produced by the leaves that were trimmed off?

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have done that, though I don't think it is really needed. My pepper was inside at the time (NW USA) and the leaves were touching the soil. Just struck me as not ideal. Didn't hurt the plant either way I suppose as long as you don't go nuts. If they are outside, those low leaves might actually be shading the soil and keeping things moist or keeping weeds from growing.

Also know that if you dig up your peppers and take them inside for the winter, they will just keep going. In their natural areas they are perennials! I didn't know that due to my climate, and was excited to get aneheims in October fro ma plant that really had a rough go of it due to chicken escapees. You can prune them back to make them last longer, as they do have a tendency to get woody. You just shouldn't bother the main "Y" of the plant. Note that you may need a plant light for wintering inside, as they obviously like a lot of light!

shaner

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
wow myown anetheims in oct?? that would be fine to me, maybe ill give it a shot, sounds like a lot of good infor from this idea both ways ,

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
odd_duck99 said:
I have done that, though I don't think it is really needed. My pepper was inside at the time (NW USA) and the leaves were touching the soil. Just struck me as not ideal. Didn't hurt the plant either way I suppose as long as you don't go nuts. If they are outside, those low leaves might actually be shading the soil and keeping things moist or keeping weeds from growing.

Also know that if you dig up your peppers and take them inside for the winter, they will just keep going. In their natural areas they are perennials! I didn't know that due to my climate, and was excited to get aneheims in October fro ma plant that really had a rough go of it due to chicken escapees. You can prune them back to make them last longer, as they do have a tendency to get woody. You just shouldn't bother the main "Y" of the plant. Note that you may need a plant light for wintering inside, as they obviously like a lot of light!
Well that is my new fact for today! I always thought that Capsicum annuum meant that they were annuals, but I checked Wikipedia and you are dead right. ~gd

odd_duck99

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I thought you guys would like that tidbit - I know how excited I was about it! :lol: Right now I have one bell pepper plant that I am trying out. I am in an apartment now, so don't ask me where I plan to put my winter plant triage station... I am just hoping the spouse will consent to a decent plant light!