Truck-bed retriever tool I made

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'd seen a friend using a retriever to pull items from the front of his truck bed to the rear, or across the bed from one side to the other. Simple principle. Described as a "cargo management tool". Here's a link for a commercially made one:
http://www.carid.com/bed-accessories/access-bed-accessories-290366.html

Very handy. So, I decided to make one. It's basically a long-handled, L-shaped tool:
4407_retriever.jpg

I had a length of broom handle on-hand (about 52" long), and some 5/16" round steel rod. I forged an eight-inch piece of the steel rod, using a hammer and an improvised anvil. I used an acetylene torch to heat the rod into the bright-orange-hot range (around 1700* F), and hammered it flat for about three inches or a little under on one end, and hammered the opposite end into a fanned-out, flattened shape at the other end. Then, also using heat, I bent this metal head to about 90 degrees. I did a bit of grinding on the tip to round it off a bit more and remove burrs. At the other end of the head (once it was cooled), the part that would attach to the handle, I drilled a couple of holes for screws.
4407_detail_2.jpg

I flattened off about a fiour-inch portion of one end of the broom stick. Then I spread some epoxy glue on the flat side of the metal head, applied the head onto the flattened part of the wooden stick, and put in a couple of short wood screws. A day later, the epoxy had cured, and the retriever was ready to use. I keep it in the bed of my truck all the time.

I hope the 'detail' pics give a good enough idea of how the head is shaped. Sorry, my camera doesn't take close-ups too well... they tend to turn out blurry.
4407_end_detail_1.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I might need to make one of those. I hate having to climb up in the bed to get something up near the cab that I can't reach from the sides.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Handy gadget there, Joel! Speaking from a short woman's point of view, there is many a time I have needed just such a tool.

Will you now make a place on the side of your truck bed on which to store this reacher/retriever so that it is stored up and under the lip of the side of the bed to keep it out of the weather and from sliding/banging around? Some kind of mounted tension clip that holds it securely but easily releases it? I know the beds with the coating are so slick that things slide around that didn't used to slide around in old, metal truck beds.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Will you now make a place on the side of your truck bed on which to store this reacher/retriever so that it is stored up and under the lip of the side of the bed to keep it out of the weather and from sliding/banging around? Some kind of mounted tension clip that holds it securely but easily releases it? I know the beds with the coating are so slick that things slide around that didn't used to slide around in old, metal truck beds.
I've got a seven year old truck, and it does have a lined bed. And I live on a gravel road, but my place is within aabout a mile of a paved secondary highway. Probably beccause I'm not driving too quickly over the gravel and am soon on pavement, I haven't noticed that the retriever has slipped around too much. But your idea could be a real good one, Bee. I'll keep it im mind, if I begin to have trouble with the retriever itself getting out of handy reach.;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It would be real easy to mount a couple of those clips like the ones on strips you can buy to hold your tools or brooms/mops.

Cool idea...gonna have to make one for my mama! :D

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awesome tool, Joel! :thumbsup

Going to have to scrounge around here and see what I can't come up with to make one for myself. ;)

Bee,

My Dakota has one of those liners in it. When we bought it, the original owner left one of those tensioned shower curtain rods in it and used it to keeps loads from shifting around. We had an aquarium maintenance business, at the time, and that curtain rod had no trouble keeping many 5 gallon buckets of RO/DI water and other equipment from shifting. We were skeptical at first, but it worked like a charm! ;)