Tsunami Reminder

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I know that we've all seen the heart wrenching videos of Japan, and I'm sure that those is west coast quake areas have done this, but... there are tsunami dangers on the east coast as well. While a more remote possibility, those that live near all of our coastlines should take a moment to consider evacuation routes, should the unthinkable happen.

Also, even in inland areas, those who live near creeks and rivers than have an upstream dam should have plans ready should the dam burst. Consider at least a couple of alternate routes in the case your primary route is blocked.

Here is the most compelling tsunami video that I have seen.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Indian Point nuclear plant sits on a major fault line along the Hudson river, 32 miles from New York City.
Imagine trying to evacute that place under a cloud of fallout?

It is one of the most dangerously located plants in the world

and how far could a tusunami go up the Hudson? Its one freaking huge river

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I know we had some flooding in this area a few years ago, took out bridges and everything. But, even w/the lake right down the street from me, we've had no problems.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think these are very important factors when choosing a piece of land! Know your natural disaster and pick your poison!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Also, check to see what kinds of native plants you have. I've heard of people who insisted on buying a house-in spite of someone warning them that they'd have water problems based on the plants in the area, only to find out that the person was right.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Also, check to see what kinds of native plants you have. I've heard of people who insisted on buying a house-in spite of someone warning them that they'd have water problems based on the plants in the area, only to find out that the person was right.
I have never heard of that. What plants cause problems with the water? Are we talking water from a well, or surface water?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think she means if you buy a home that is surrounded by cattails and water lilies, those plants mean water...so be careful LOL