Tuco's journey from "total-reliance" to "self-sufficient"

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Wow! I haven't been here much in the last week because I've been really busy with the Omaha Zombie Walk, which was just held Sat Oct 25th. I'm the founder/organizer of the event, and this was our 7th year doing it. So, last week, instead of researching raising chickens in my backyard...instead, I was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. We had around 3000 zombies in the event, and a couple thousand more spectators! We raised around $3000 for the homeless shelter!!! It was a lot of fun, but, at the same time, I'm so glad it's over (very exhausting). It's very rewarding being able to help out the homeless!
That sound fun! Did you take pics?

Tuco

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Tuco, you said you'd like to learn to weld. We had a thread about this; it's here: http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/for-those-who-want-to-learn-to-weld.11266/

In addition to that advice, I'd recommend checking out the Youtube videos at: https://www.youtube.com/user/ChuckE2009

Good luck with all your homesteading activities.

Wow! Great info! Thank you so much! I'm going to be keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal on a welder, probably from an estate auction.

That sound fun! Did you take pics?

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=omaha zombie walk 2014

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's a nice pic. The flickr link doesn't work for me. Could be a problem on my side though, I need to download a replacement for my flash player. Apple stopped supporting adobe :\

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I got DH to upgrade my flash player and I could watch the videos. Great stuff, looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Tuco

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I got DH to upgrade my flash player and I could watch the videos. Great stuff, looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

yes, it was so much fun!!! It's a lot of work though (I've already started work on next years Zombie Walk). It's grown way past my expectations! The first year we had it (2008) we had 171 zombies. The last three years has been 3000+ zombies!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's wonderful :thumbsup I love the idea as a fundraiser, especially now with Halloween.

Tuco

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just dreaming! I wish I had the money...this place is available in Omaha (In my favorite neighborhood) for just about $70,000. I could do pretty much everything I want to do on a plot of this size. Room for gardens, rabbits, chickens, catfish, etc.

Attachments

• Maple St House.jpg
    Maple St House.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 364

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So what do you have to do to make this a reality? Down payment? Job? Credit? FHA loan? If outside the city limits, you could qualify for a USDA loan. What is keeping you from buying this or any other place that meets your needs? You don't have to answer these questions here, but answer them to yourself.

Or maybe you should scrap the buy a house idea and just buy land. Put a 12'x24' portable building on it, finish out the building and live in it. Build a "tiny house" for cheap $$. What does raw land cost in your area? What about septic? What permits would you need? How many acres do you need for les restrictions? In the county I presently live in, you have to have 10 acres to put in a passive or anaerobic septic system. Any less acres and you have to put in the aerobic septic system. That is but one example of what you have to consider when buying property. What is the smallest building you can have without a building permit? Will restrictions let you live in it? What about building a barn? What about sliding around restrictions and building a "wash room" with sink and shower in the barn.....and over there hiding in that closet......a bed. :lol:

What is most important to you? What is the first step you need to take to achieve your goals? Have you written down your goals? Have you written out each step toward your goals? Put it on paper so you can read your plan from time to time.

You are reaching out, trying to learn and that is a positive move on your part. Every move forward puts you closer to your goal.