1 c. oatmeal or stale cereal
2 c. plain flour
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. white sugar
1 c. coconut
1 c. pecans
1 t. vanilla
dash salt

This recipe is designed to change the ingredients according to what you have on hand. Of course, coconut and pecans can be expensive. (We happen to have a steady supply of free pecans). The cereal, coconut and pecans are all interchangeable. In other words, you can use 4 cups of any stale cereal and no pecans or coconut.

Cream shortening and sugars; add eggs. Add flour, soda and baking powder. Mix in cereals, coconut, pecans, salt and vanilla. Drop from a spoon onto a greased cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for approximately 8-10 minutes until lightly brown.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Oh, great thread, I don't know how I missed it before!

Poppycat, I use little dribs and drabs of grilled meat for either a) put in fried rice or chinese-style fried noodles; or b) sautee a lot of onions and some greens in a fair whack of olive oil, put in bits of meat to heat thru, grind on a LOT of black pepper, and mix with pasta and however much grated parmesan as budget allows, mmmm, one of my favorite pasta recipes!

Our way of using cereal crumbs (you know, the smashed dusty chaff left at the bottom of the bag) is that we convinced our son that they are a *treat*, mushed up with some milk and sometimes warmed in the microwave for a moment. It's a win-win situation :)

Pat

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
poppycat said:
Nearly empty bottles of BBQ sauce can be "rinsed" with soy sauce and then brushed on to chicken. Same goes for ketchup.
I use vinegar, when I'm using the last of a bottle of something I pour in a little vinegar, swish it around or close and shake - and pour that into whatever I'm making.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
poppycat said:
My challenge items are those little pieces of leftover grilled chicken or pork chop. I hate to throw them away but I'm not a big fan of them cut up and mixed into something like soup. If I can accumulate enough pieces, shepherds pie is good, but it rarely ever happens here :(
Left over chicken here normally gets a dollup of mayo and slapped on a piece of bread. YUM

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
sautee a lot of onions and some greens in a fair whack of olive oil, put in bits of meat to heat thru, grind on a LOT of black pepper, and mix with pasta and however much grated parmesan as budget allows, mmmm, one of my favorite pasta recipes!

Pat
That sounds yummy. Actually you could kill two birds with one stone if you had some greens that were on their way out.

I dunno about the mushed up cereal though ;)

(actually reminds me of the time I was invited to lunch at a friends house as a kid-apparently her brother hadn't finished his cereal at breakfast, so it was stored in the fridge and re-served to him at lunch when I went home and told my mom about it her explanation was that my friends mom used to be a nun :idunno maybe nuns like soggy cereal I dunno)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
hoosier said:
NOT people food.

I save chicken/turkey bones in the freezer. When I have a large amount, I put them in a pressure canner and cook at 15lbs pressure for an hour. Most of the bones will be quite soft and I feed to the dogs. Any that aren't (turkey leg or thigh) are put back in freezer for the next cooking which will soften them.

My husband jokes about me using everything except the gobble.
The veterinarians I used to work for did this too. Their dogs always had the most beautiful coats.