Use it up!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I get into this ridiculous pattern of frantically using up last year's frozen/canned produce immediately before the fresh bounty of this year, thus being tired of said produce before the fresh stuff arrives. :p

This year, I used old frozen berries and canned applesauce to make a bunch of fruit leathers.

Last year's corn got used in my canned cowboy caviar salsa.

Some grains were so old that I could actually see the meal moths in them--They got burned.

Fresh produce that goes bad gets sent to the chickens.

I try hard not to waste, but some days it feels like a losing battle!

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, pat! :hugs

It's all about practicing wisdom. Think of Ecclesiastes, chapter 3:
"To every thing there is a {a} season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:...
a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
...a time to keep and a time to throw away,...
a time to tear and a time to mend,..."

(I kinda cherry-picked this verse. :lol: )

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Hmm, I guess that is one of the benefits of frequent moving. We have moved 9 times in the past 8 years, so my cupboards get cleaned out regularly, and I am super conscious about how much of certian things I buy. I start emptying out my cupboards and shopping less about 6 months before each move so I have less to throw out.

Now we are supposed to be here for a while though, so I'll have to watch out.

My mom used to put stuff in the freezer and leave it in there for years. She actually put her placenta in there from my youngest brother...... I guess she thought she was going to do something with it....... she finally threw it away after 12 years!

She also had a dead squirrel in the freezer for a few years, she thought it would be fun to disect but never got around to it.

I think even if I didn't move so much, after having grown up with her, I would still probably be anal about not keeping stuff around too long.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I moved plenty of times too and my friends got a frig and pantry full in my last move. You might want to get a small food dehydrator. Dried foods last well, and take up less space. They're much more portable if you do move. I actually mailed a bunch of my dried herbs to the new adress- they were light enough.
I've known people who saved some strange stuff too :idunno . Just try to laugh about it.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
OK, last night I cleaned out the fridge. I had some spaghetti that had already been eaten out of 3 times and a chicken pot pie left from church meeting that had been eaten out of twice. There was probably only a serving left of each. I also found some mac & cheese from (I really don't know when). I mixed it up and it became a wonderful feast for the chickens. :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Iceblink said:
My mom used to put stuff in the freezer and leave it in there for years. She actually put her placenta in there from my youngest brother...... I guess she thought she was going to do something with it....... she finally threw it away after 12 years!

She also had a dead squirrel in the freezer for a few years, she thought it would be fun to disect but never got around to it.
I'm laughing out loud!!! Wow--that takes the cake :)