Uses for green tomatoes?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It looks like I'm going to have a ton of green tomatoes. Out of the 8 plants, I have 3 tomatoes that might actually ripen.

So I need ideas on what to do with the green ones. There are green slicers and green romas.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've heard of people just letting them sit inside until they do ripen.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I usually have to ripen mine indoors, but we haven't had any frost yet and the forecast promises at least another frost-free week so I'm leaving mine on the vines as long as possible.

To give you an example of what usually happens though, last summer we picked our tomatoes and cleared the vines away about a week or so into September, and I made the final batch of tomato sauce from the ones that ripened spread out on my dining table in mid-October. Some of the fruits that take that long do end up a bit wrinkly, so that's why the last batch gets sauced. But you'll be eating "fresh" tomatoes for probably 3-4 weeks if you bring them in once frost is a regular happening :)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But if you want to use them green, there are some great recipes out there for Green Tomato Relish, and although I've never had it, there is also Fried Green Tomatoes :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I understand that only the green tomatoes that appear to be changing color already - that is, maybe the dark green is starting to lighten a little - will ripen successfully off the vine. That might not be correct, but I have never tried it with totally solid green tomatoes. I have a recipe for a green tomato/apple/pear mincemeat (no actual meat) that is quite good, if that interests you at all.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I understand that only the green tomatoes that appear to be changing color already - that is, maybe the dark green is starting to lighten a little - will ripen successfully off the vine. That might not be correct, but I have never tried it with totally solid green tomatoes. I have a recipe for a green tomato/apple/pear mincemeat (no actual meat) that is quite good, if that interests you at all.
Absolutely true, in my experience over many years. :)

They don't have to have changed much in colour, but they do have to be at their full mature size and be at least starting to lighten--the darker green ones will only rot.

For any that you do bring indoors to ripen off the plant, leave them on their stem together (they ripen faster in close proximity) and keep them cool and out of direct light. Heat (like in a sunny window sill) will cause them to shrivel. If you can keep something else that ripens quickly nearby, like a bunch of bananas, the ethylene gas that is exuded by ripening fruit will help them ripen a bit faster.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not going to pick them yet. We have a while before we should get a frost. It just is going into the cool gray days.

I was so happy with the plants this year with the tons of tomatoes that set. Hmm. Maybe I need to scout the stores for clearance on a small portable green house. I have the tomatoes in pots because the back side of the house is the hottest place with the sun reflecting off the siding.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Fried. Green. Tomatoes!!! You MUST try them ;) Just slice them 1/4 inch(ish) thick, roll both sides in cornmeal, sprinkle a little garlic and salt on them, maybe some pepper, etc. whatever you like best...then fry them in a hot skillet with just enough oil for the slices to float, flipping once mid way(about 1-2 minutes) drain excess oil, and fall in love!!! Seriously, we have these as a full meal as soon as we get enough green tomatoes on the vines in early Spring. They are sooooo good. NOT good as leftovers however...they get kinda yucky after they cool, not that we've had problems with them ever getting cool around here very often though ;)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
I'm not going to pick them yet. We have a while before we should get a frost. It just is going into the cool gray days.

I was so happy with the plants this year with the tons of tomatoes that set.
Hmm. Maybe I need to scout the stores for clearance on a small portable green house. I have the tomatoes in pots because the back side of the house is the hottest place with the sun reflecting off the siding.
In case you haven't thought of it, be sure to clip off all new flowers and any tiny fruits from now on--then the vines will put all their energy into the full-size fruit :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
moolie said:
Hinotori said:

I was so happy with the plants this year with the tons of tomatoes that set.
Hmm. Maybe I need to scout the stores for clearance on a small portable green house. I have the tomatoes in pots because the back side of the house is the hottest place with the sun reflecting off the siding.
In case you haven't thought of it, be sure to clip off all new flowers and any tiny fruits from now on--then the vines will put all their energy into the full-size fruit :)
I'll keep an eye out for any more blooms. I don't think I've seen any in the last month though. It totally slipped my mind to pick off flowers.