Venison jerky in the oven?

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
How?

I have a freezer full of bambi and blackberries. How do I make jerky in the oven? (not with blackberries :D )

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Go to the grocery or sporting goods store and get a box of Hi Mountain jerky cure and seasoning then follow the instructions in the box. I personally prefer to use a smoker but I have done it in the oven with excellent results. They have a huge selection of flavorings and one box is enough to make about 10 lbs. They reccomend only doing 4 lbs at a time and from experience that is good advice. Actually you may want to start with a much smaller quantity to get you through the learning curve.
Note if your oven is like mine the lowest heat setting (200*) may be too hot. I take a small screw or piece of coathanger to prop the door slightly to attain the desired temp.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My cousin does this every year. He just soaks strips of meat overnight in Dale's seasoning in the fridge, then hangs it over the racks of the stove on the lowest setting(175 degrees) with the door propped open with a wooden spoon handle just a crack, for about 6 hours. It's pretty tasty :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I put mine on my cookie cooling racks over a cookie sheet. Cut it as thin as possible and marinate for 24-48 hours. set your oven on 200 and cook for 20 minutes with the door closed, then open the door a crack and finish until it is the desired dryness. Usually take a few hours. I do 2 cookie sheets worth at a time and turn the sheets halfway through cause my oven stays hotter towards the back.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I used to make it in the oven, I had the advantage of having a convection setting, but you can do it in a regular oven too at the lowest possible setting. Mine usually took from 7-8 hours to dry. I lined cookie sheets with foil (to catch the drippings) and set cookie cooling racks inside of that to lay the strips on, not letting them touch each other. Flip them every couple of hours. They're done when they are dark all the way through, but can still be bent. It's easy to over cook them in an oven, so check often toward the end and take out the pieces that are done first.