Vet website question

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Before "The Great Computer Crash" of 2008, I had a website bookmarked that was an incredible source of information. It was broken down into two main parts, Cats and Dogs. It was run by a Vet that had basically described almost ever disease you could think of, and listed what to do to fix problems, generally speaking. It was a huge website and he had gotten so busy that he had to stop answering questions people asked him, but he had kept the rest of the site up. I would LOVE to find that site again, and if anyone happens to know of it, I be mighty appreciative if you'd post it up. We have a Chocolate Lab that is having head tremors in the mornings............

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Nope that's not it. Thanks for trying though!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Why not call your vet? They don't charge for phone calls!

There is nothing that can drive a vet crazy faster than a client waiting for an animal to become VERY ill and difficult to treat before seeking help. If there is anything they wish they could say to people it is, "Just CALL us."

I'm not saying this because I'm on an animal-rights agenda, and I'm not trying to bash you!

My boyfriend is a veterinarian and nothing is more upsetting. He'll go out on an emergency call and the animal dies when he gets there because the owner waited 2 weeks - until it was an emergency - to call in.

Another time a family self-treated a dog with "gatorade" and because they didn't bring the dog in, a month later, the dog came in as an emergency jaundiced and seizing. A round of antibiotics a month earlier and the dog would have been fine!

You can't get a diagnosis over the phone, but you can ask a lot of questions. Describe the symptoms. Ask what s/he would recommend. Ask what is essential. (Usually will get two different answers.)

Call several veterinarians for quotes. I had a dog that needed a broken tooth extracted. I received quotes from $400 - $1,200! I talked to another (farm) vet to figure out what was essential and what was not. Without the antibiotics, pain meds, and extras that were not necessary (it was not infected and was not a difficult extraction), my actual cost was $50.50!

I have a copy of the 5-Minute Veterinary Consult - a reference book that veterinarians use. Localized head tremors can be cerebellar disease, partial seizures, or even idiopathic in doberman pinschers, labrador retrieves, and english bulldogs. It could be a metabolic disease, hypoglycemia, hypocalcemia, or abnormal renal function. It could be encephalitis, toxins, inflammation, trauma, or an abnormal central nervous system.

All of those possibilies are serious enough that I would have my dog checked out for that symptom.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Trust me, we are seeing our vet this afternoon for the problems Shirley is having. ;) He is not only our Vet, he is a customer of mine as well as close friend, so we have each other on speed dial. :lol:

That being said, the website I am looking for listed every disease, ailment, injury that you can imagine, and it was a fantastic source of information. Sometimes there really isn't a need to run the vet when you can self treat the minor stuff. Even though Dave is just a phone call away, it is still nice to have some idea what you might be up against.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
True! I always go for the 5-Minute Vet Consult first! :D Although it's several hundred dollars for a copy, so a great website is a good option.

I can't think of a website like you are describing.