Ways to start a fire

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am working on my syllabus for the Homemaker's Survival Workshop, and I thought I would include a list of ways to start a fire in a pinch. Most of the women I hope to meet with might know how to squirt charcoal lighter on some briquettes and throw on a match, but that's about it. I want to go beyond a BBQ fire and teach them how to really survive.

I will start with the BBQ fire, move on to a wood fire in the fireplace versus a wood fire for cooking. But how do we light the wood in either case? What if we have one match, or no matches.

So, we have seen in the movies that you ought to be able to roll a stick between your palms in a pile of dry twig and POOF signal fore for the rescue plane, right? But what if you have one match, or no matches? What then.

So far, I have:

The traditional crumpled newspaper.
Wax/sawdust/dryer lint in egg cartons.
Buddy burner (coiled cardboard in tuna can, filled with wax)
Battery and steel wool.
Different types of lenses, including ice, glass and a condom. (Seriously.)
WD40
Vaseline and cotton
Alcohol-based hand sanitizer.

Does anyone else know of unusual ways to start fires? Thanks in advance.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Then there's also the old method of flint and steel.

You can also start a fire chemically. In my youth, when working as a counselor at Boy Scout camp, we used HTH (a brand of chlorine granules for a pool) and pine oil. Although if you're in a situation where you need to start a signal fire and you have no matches. Pool chlorine and pine oil would probably be items not on hand either. :rolleyes:

Edited to correct FFS (Fat Finger Syndrome)

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was watching a documentary on prisons once, and someone mentioned the inmates would gather the lint from the new socks - while they were wearing them - and set fires with it.

Don't know how useful that would be to you, but thought it was interesting.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
I was watching a documentary on prisons once, and someone mentioned the inmates would gather the lint from the new socks - while they were wearing them - and set fires with it.

Don't know how useful that would be to you, but thought it was interesting.
I think I saw the same documentary. We also watch a lot of those survival in the wild shows, they often use the lint found in pockets etc. Pine needles, dry grass, shredded bark also will accept a spark and light fairly well. As kids we used to use certain stones. When you hit 2 together they would spark. I can't think of the name of the stone right now. They are primarily a creamy white.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Well beyond how you are going to spark your fire, you need to have the building blocks of making a fire handy immediately before you begin. Light, fluffy dry material to light quickly, small sticks and splintered kindling, and then small branches or pieces of log. Finally, large logs, and "mother" overnighter logs for the end of the evening. It isn't just about how to spark the flame.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I've seen Survivorman using magnesium and something. I'll have to re-watch that.
In our geographical area there is river/yellow birch that has a papery loose bark that is an excellent fire starter. When I see it in the woods I collect a bit and keep in my hiking pack. It will ignite if wet because it contains resins.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
On my keychain I carry a magnesium starter, I also have one in the glovebox of my car and in my BOB. Using a pocket knife you scrape off some magnesium, then flip the starter & scrape your knife down the "flint" side.

A pair of glasses, a magnifying glass or even a condom filled with water can be used to magnify sunrays to start a fire.

As far as primitive ways, fire plows are cool. Very similar to firebows or other forms of friction starters, but IMO easier to make & use.
http://www.primitive.org/fireplow.htm

As has been mentioned, dry, compact but fluffy tinder is very important. Dry cattails, broomsedge fluff, shredded bark, charred cloth, etc.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Unless you have a very good firestarting doohickey, like working matches or one of those magnesium jobbies, frankly I think the two things you most need are 1) to know the importance of finding/using extremely fluffy, extremely easily combustible material, and 2) experience (both in getting that first smolder, from a fire bow or whatever, and also in coddling it onwards into an actual fire).

Book-learning can help for #1 but #2 mainly takes *practice*.

Pat, without very much practice at it :p

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all your suggestions. They are helping a great deal and all of them are added to my file.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
On my keychain I carry a magnesium starter, I also have one in the glovebox of my car and in my BOB. Using a pocket knife you scrape off some magnesium, then flip the starter & scrape your knife down the "flint" side.

A pair of glasses, a magnifying glass or even a condom filled with water can be used to magnify sunrays to start a fire.

As far as primitive ways, fire plows are cool. Very similar to firebows or other forms of friction starters, but IMO easier to make & use.
http://www.primitive.org/fireplow.htm

As has been mentioned, dry, compact but fluffy tinder is very important. Dry cattails, broomsedge fluff, shredded bark, charred cloth, etc.
:lol:
Better hope a boy scout troop doesn't hike by at the wrong moment...