sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Yellow Birch- won't hurt the tree to collect some of this loose bark-

515_yellow_birch.jpg

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the whole twirling-stick-between-your-hands thing is completely impractical, especially if you are alone. 1) your arms are literally going to fall off before you get a spark 2) with your hands busy twirling that darn stick, it is VERY difficult to maintain sufficient downward pressure to keep the friction going.

the fire-bow method is the easiest to learn, easiest to use, and probably the only method i would stress of the wood/friction variety. but that's probably because i'm fire-plow challenged. :D also, you can use a shoelace and easy to find bits of wood, so, if you are lost, it's very handy. and you don't ruin the shoelace, so you aren't screwed when you have to run for your life.

noobiechickenlady said:
A pair of glasses, a magnifying glass or even a condom filled with water can be used to magnify sunrays to start a fire.
after i studied abroad in college, i was on a student panel to help redesign the packets that students were given before they left. i kept saying that things needed to have multiple purposes to be really successful. one of the things they wanted to know was whether we thought it would be appropriate to put condoms in it. everyone was chuckling and saying yes all demurely. i was like "hell, yes! condoms are one of the most handy things you can have. i mean, you can light fires with them AND haul water in them! i mean, what's a little spermicide in your water if it keeps you alive." everyone looked at me like i was a raving lunatic. i realized i sounded like a raving lunatic and sheepishly said "i'm an anthropology major and i grew up on a farm." they all just nodded as if that explained it and tried not to stare at me.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Now I am going to have to get a condom and try that out. :lol:
Making the fire that is, not drinking spermy water, I'll pass on that for now, thank you.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I used to have one of those magnesium fire starters, but got rid of it. It was very hard to shave the magnesium off w/out ruining your knife blade. But the "flint" they have on the other side works well as long as you have some tinder for it to fall into. A few years ago, I bought a larger "flint" and striker. I've found that if you use a real cotton ball, it will catch fire as soon as you hit it w/a spark. So, that's what I carry w/me for an emergency fire started.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I save all my tree clippings after I prune my apple trees in the spring. I bundle them with twine and toss them in the barn until fall, by which time they are very nice and dry and will help start a fire quicky. They burn very hot compared to most other twigs I could gather around here.

Another good source of free kindling is discarded pallets that are too rotten to be used for other things. The wood is very dry and lights quickly. Cut them up with the chainsaw and pull them apart.

Junk mail (seems like you get tons of it and the opt-out thing never works). Good for nothin' other than starting fires! :tongue

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
No, I never did get the chance or remember to play with starting a fire with a condom or anything else, other than a match or a lighter. :lol:

Although I almost started fire accidentally once, after I forgot to bring my glass globe back inside after doing a pagan ceremony :p

When I remembered to bring it in, I found the ground under it scorched.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Since I am the ultimate procrastinator, I haven't ordered myself one of the Blast matches yet. That would be my easiest thing to have, I think (once I learned to use it and actually ordered one :p)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP223-1.html

But, no knowledge is ever wasted- the fire plow is one I hadn't seen before. If I ever need to, I think that would be the thing to try. I like the directions for making the tinder nest.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The thing about the fire plow or any other way that does not involve very-specifically-manufactured technology, is that it takes a good bit of PRACTICE under ideal conditions to get so you can make it work. Even using flint and steel (found, not in a manufactured widget) falls into this category IMHO.

So rather than waiting til you NEED a fire, which is most often pretty far from ideal conditions <g>, if you think you might EVER want to do these things, it would be smart to devote some boring winter days to practicing/learning them now ;)

Pat (e.t.a. - who has fooled around with methods involving sticks and friction just enough to know that I would have to get much much better at 'em to have much hope of making a fire, and who is not all that swift at catching sparks struck from 'found' flint and steel either, but in my slight defense I *do* have a flint and steel striker of the type used for lab bunsen burners sitting on a hook in the basement in case of emergency, and in fact have used it a few times. So as long as my basement survives <whatever> intact, I'm reasonably ok LOL)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
The thing about the fire plow or any other way that does not involve very-specifically-manufactured technology, is that it takes a good bit of PRACTICE under ideal conditions to get so you can make it work. Even using flint and steel (found, not in a manufactured widget) falls into this category IMHO.

So rather than waiting til you NEED a fire, which is most often pretty far from ideal conditions <g>, if you think you might EVER want to do these things, it would be smart to devote some boring winter days to practicing/learning them now ;)
Yes, Indeed! Can't expect to get lost in the woods & pull one (whatever method you choose) out of your behind and start a fire.
Try it with different tinders, different woods, different methods, etc. until you can get a fire started regularly. It also gets easier with practice.
And wow FD! Glad you got it before it sparked up!

I still prefer the fireplow. IMO, it's easier to brace & you can get more pressure (increased friction). And you don't have to have a shoestring or make cordage from scratch if you happen to get lost in the boonies. But after that, my second favorite is the bow, as far as the primitive methods go.

Hey, did you know you can also make your own waterproof matches? Melt some wax in a double boiler (or coffeecan in a pot with about 1" of water) using caution since wax IS flamable. Drop your matches (preferable strike anywhere) into the wax & stir to coat. Pull them out & lay them out separated to cool. Store in a film canister.