Welcome to the MeSSy Kitchen Club! Are you a member?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
My perfect kitchen would include a cold storage room, plenty of counterspace, a pantry with dedicated room for each appliance, fewer cupboards, deep sinks, stainless steel movable prep table, an outdoor prep area with sink, and a big picture window overlooking the fruit orchard down the drive.
My outdoor prep area with "sink" .... :lol: :gig :lol:

1378_clean_turkeys_setup2.jpg

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Farm, I LOVE IT!!! The auction I'm going to on Sat. has one of those. I am keeping my fingers crossed!!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, I believe many 'normal' people can easily have a great life without being SS. they might not do the work but many people buy wholesome foods easily. Many never have the 'same proud' moment.
A career as a surgeon and saving a life might be a proud moment, and SHE can't be home to make wholesome foods but she sure can buy it with her income! :) and have that sparkling clean kitchen! ;)

just saying it is never the same for all--but if ya are microwaving dinner from a box, then come on, get a gripe on life and eat some good foods LOL

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
It sure ain't fancy, but the set up works! Just remember to buy a shut off for the end of your garden hose, so you can control the water flow. ;)

This is where I clean all of my birds and wash down any really dirty produce - like beets taters and carrots. In the winter it goes to the laundry room and I use it for - a WASH tub! :lol:

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm Vickilynn, and I am a member of the MeSSy Kitchen Club.

Favorite tool: Cast iron skillet

Favorite appliance: Bosch Mixer

Shameful habit: I make bread weekly and sometimes (OK - most of the time) I don't wash the bread pans before putting them away.:hide

Best tip: Get rid of all the gadgets, dishes, pans, that odd spice you bought three years ago for some recipe you'll never make again, ... anything you don't use. Without all the useless junk, it's much easier to navigate.

My perfect kitchen would have a pantry, and an out-of-the way area with a second sink, coffee pot, trash can, maybe even a small refrigerator to take care of most of the reasons my family comes tromping through the kitchen, getting in the way when I'm in the middle of something.

I have discovered being self sufficient creates many more dirty dishes than just heating up some store-bought processed meals. Fortunately, DH is good about doing dishes - except he's afraid to touch the big bad cast iron skillet. So he leaves that for me.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Step right up and join the club! :D
Oh yeah, that's me!
My name is Anna and I belong to the MeSSy Kitchen Club.

My favorite kitchen tool is the instant hot water filter in my sink. I can make hot tea with no notice, have instant hot water for poached eggs, oatmeal, and any time I need boiling water RIGHT NOW. ETA: Since it's not a actually boiling hot water, it works great for heating the lids for my canning!

My most helpful appliance is my KitchenAid stand mixer. I have a lot of attachments for it.

My most shameful habit is not cleaning as I go. I end up with pots and pans piled up and that makes it harder to clean up and I get totally discouraged and want to run away and hide. I often end up having to clean the kitchen before I can cook.

My best kitchen cleaning tip is follow Flylady. When I do, things don't fall apart. And I don't fall apart.

My perfect kitchen would include a root cellar, a walk-in pantry, a wine-cellar, a bread/pizza oven, and counters. More countertops. Gosh I miss having counter tops. I even went out and bought a piece of furniture to act as an island in my kitchen because I needed more counter space.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm Lulu (moolie), and I am a member of the MESSY Kitchen Club.

Favorite tool: a strong old-school wooden spoon (I have three because they are hard to come by and I get one whenever I find a place that sells them)

Favorite appliance:
my KitchenAid mixer and Oster blender (sorry, can't pick just one)

Shameful habit: I don't wash my bread pans either, but they are all lined with parchment paper that gets used at least 10 times before I chuck it. And I'm like the rest above who start something, then move on to something else, then something else... and never finish it all in the same day (or week some times).

Best tip: Clean off the counter tops and do all the dishes before you start a new project. I don't always follow this advice, and often end up frustrated as I try to navigate the disaster around me.

My perfect kitchen would have a pantry, more counter tops, and a self-cleaning floor.

I am very fortunate to have a husband who does all the dishes every night, and if he is unable to I get my girls to do them before they go to school so I can start my day with an empty sink and clean dishwasher.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Denise and I am a proud member of the MeSSy Kitchen Club

I will have to answer the questions later. Right now I am trying to do 5 things at once, while grandson is taking a mini nap.

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am Traci aka Bimpnottin. I belong to the MeSSy Kitchen Club.

My favorite kitchen tool are the awesome chef's knife and paring knife my SIL got when she was stationed in Germany. I love those knives. :love

My most helpful appliance is my dishwasher. That and my extra deep sink basins.

My most shameful habit is having cluttered countertops and not always hand washing the stuff that doesn't fit in the dishwasher. (Isn't that what husbands are for?) :hide and maybe putting the measuring spoons and cups back in the cupboard if I've only used them to measure dry ingredients... :idunno

My best kitchen cleaning tipis to use the steam mop on the floor. Nothing beats it and I only have to buy distilled water every other month or so, because our water is too hard to run through it. and put aluminum foil under the burners on the stove to stop the mess before it gets bad.

My perfect kitchen would include my double wall convection ovens, my 6-burner gas stovetop, my dishwasher. Oh wait, I have those already from when we remodeled the house a few years ago. :celebrate If I could change anything, after using it for a couple of years, I would have moved the island over another 6 inches away from the refrigerator. I would add more pantry space (even though I really have a lot!!!!) and I would change the end cupboard, it's really weird getting cups out of that one. I love my island and my large peninsula with the large overhang, so people can sit at it.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Bimpnottin said:
I am Traci aka Bimpnottin. I belong to the MeSSy Kitchen Club.

My perfect kitchen would include my double wall convection ovens, my 6-burner gas stovetop, my dishwasher. Oh wait, I have those already from when we remodeled the house a few years ago. :celebrate
You lucky ducky!! :cool: I am loving these confessions!

You all ARE getting that the SS in MeSSy is to stand for Sufficient Self aren't you?