What are some eco-friendly and mindful gift ideas for a conscious Christmas celebration?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We only really do Christmas for the kids in my family after you graduate, that's pretty much it unless your parents decide to get you something small. I just give money because I don't live close.

We always sent money to hubby's parents to pay for fuel oil for winter.

With my parents, it's always something they need. Slippers every other year for the past decade. Much needed shirts or wool socks.

Mom makes cookies and caramels for us. Fruitcake only if she can get the ingredients cheap so pretty much done with that.

I smoked up pork ribs for everyone one year. Then many of the family went out and bought a smoker.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We do a White Elephant party for gifts for the adults. Children get pounded with presents.

The White Elephant gifts are fun, especially when you can steal somebody’s gift. Only 3 steals on a gift. The person who got their gift stolen can choose a new gift or go steal somebody else’s gift. It’s a lot more fun and easier on the finances than trying to buy gifts for everyone. Bring a gift, put it under the tree, draw numbers and let the fun begin. Since #1 didn’t get to steal anything, at the end, #1 has the choice of any gift.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mom and Dad are getting bath towels this year. Theirs are quite ratty. The things are well over a decade old. Maybe 2 decades. Mom really believes in wearing stuff out. She wouldn't have got new ones herself for many more years.

Maybe I can convince her to take some of the even older ones to the pound or a vet. They appreciate them.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YOU may have to make that donation for her 🤫

Maybe. I've had towels foisted off on me before. The 1970s hand towels are much longer than modern towels. I use them to wrap the side mirrors on hubby's truck on freezing nights. An old bath sheet covers the windshield (close top edge in doors). He never has to scrape windows that waym

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok...not gift idea BUT -- the ages of old towels made me think. As I filled my coffee cup, one of several with a "FL State Fair" imprint on it, that those were from winning classes at mini horse shows -- in 1995!! :epso, these cups are 28 yr old. Really?! :th:idunno clearly I use until.....:lol::old