WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have 3 trays of potatoes in the dehydrator and 1 tray of summer squash. I steamed them for 5 minutes, rinsed thoroughly and then filled the trays.

I juiced 2.5 or so pecks of mixed apples and am currently separating juice from pulp, which will take all night really. That pulp might be good for apple leather. The mush/skins/pulp left over in the catch container from juicing are in a bag waiting for a decision.. baked goods or apple butter. Next I have to peel another 3 pecks, then use the handy dandy slicer/corer gadget and make up a few pints of "baking apples" and possibly a little applesauce...

whew.. I'm tired!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You have every right to be tired! Awesome day for you...Great job !

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Good morning everyone!

Still nervous about my first fruit experiences here. Is there any reason I don't find Apple Jam recipes in the "trusted" sources? I don't think I'll ever get this juice clear enough with the tools I currently have and was wondering what would happen if I use this pulpy apple juice to attempt jelly. Would I end up with something more like jam?

Also.. when I first learned about canning, the advice I got was to avoid powdered pectin as liquid is MUCH easier to use. I've stocked up on lots of liquid pectin, but all the recipes call for powdered. Are there any tips you have on dealing with this difference?

THANKS!!!

added: not that I need pectin for the apple stuff, but I also have bags of other berries etc to work with from our garden & last year.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have never seen apple jam, even in use, but have seen apple butter. Would that work?

DawnSuiter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I don't like apple butter much myself, which is why I thought I'd try for more of a jelly. I guess I'll just play around with it a bit and see what happens.

That is what I was wondering though, if anyone knew why it isn't seen in use or in the books. Maybe because it really ends up more like chunky applesauce or apple pie filling to really call it "jam". :/ :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I make an apple pie jam (it is not the texture of pie filling,it is the texture of jam the spices give it the namesake) every year, it is fabulous if you would like the recipe I will post it. It is a great ice cream topper warmed up as well.
I prefer the dry pectin, the difference between using them is one is the dry is added with the fruit before boiling and the liquid is added after. As a general rule they are not interchangeable but with experimenting I am sure this can be done. I just use what the recipe requires since ingredients are so spendy :D

I will just post it for others who need apple recipes. This is an absolute favorite, always requested for gifts. I double the recipe because it only makes 3 pints originally.
Apple pie Jam
recipezaar 100315

Ingredients

* 4 cups apples, chopped (tart apples)
* 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon ginger
* 4 cups sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar, packed
* 1 (1 3/4 ounce) box dry pectin
* 1 teaspoon butter

Directions

1. Measure apples in a measuring cup, now add in the same measuring cup water to fill up to the 4 cup line (with the apples in it).
2.Add pectin and the butter and spices, lemon juice.
3.Bring to a boil.
4.Add sugars and bring back to a full rolling boil, boil hard 1 minute.
5.Stir constantly.
6.Remove from the heat.
7.Skim off any foam.
8.Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/4-inch head space.
9.Process in water bath 10 minutes in altitudes under 1000'

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I make an apple pie jam (it is not the texture of pie filling,it is the texture of jam the spices give it the namesake) every year, it is fabulous if you would like the recipe I will post it.
Oh my goodness......a total keeper....

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I bought some Apple Pie Jam at the farmer's market - it was so good! Thanks for the recipe! Now I can't wait for my apples to ripen! :fl