WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Today is my first day of canning for the summer. I am making blackberry jam because we are FINALLY getting enough blackberries after years of growing them! Also going to freeze some shredded zucchini, and either freeze or can some green beans (depends on how hot the kitchen gets from the jam). Oh, and I might make some more pickles. Busy day. :)

sammileah

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
this is my 1st yr canning so every try is interesting so far have raspberry jam and blueberry pie filling.

debo4702

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I re canned 4 of those #10 cans of fruit cocktail so far I have 14 pints and 2 quarts. DH said well if nothing else they are pretty.Came out nicer than I thought. Also some tomatoes from the garden and now potatoes. Hope to finish up soon b/c the kitchen is hot and I still have to make dinner.
You know what the great part is...all day DH helped. I am so lucky.:love

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok Ladys can someone help an old man out here, I do love canning and cooking, just need answers to a few questions please!!! Also I really love Vlasic Bread and Butter pickles( I know they are not homemade but I can't seem to get mine that crispy and I just love Vlasic's) So my question to this is can I reuse the pickle juice from these and can I reuse the half gallon jars I buy them in to recan stuff in???? Thanks much!!! Lynn :cool:

Greybear23 said:
debo4702 said:
Okay I have a question. Ok maybe more than one but here goes. My BIL gave us 6 #10 cans of fruit cocktail in light syrup. Those cans are huge! I will never eat that much if I open it. Can I recan these in pint size jars for future use? Right now they are just sitting in my carport looking at me. What else can you do with the stuff beside eating straight or jell-o. Help I hate wasting food. (guess i can feed it to the pigs):/
Don't know about re-canning it but it would make some wonderful Dump Cakes!!! If you don't know what I am talking about pm me and I will tell you how I make them!!!!

I have a few questions also!!!!
1. Still looking for a good recipe to use watermelon rinds to make a Sweet Pickle(wat. rind) Relish!
2. Can you share the watermelon jelly recipe PLEASE!!!!!?
3. I made jellies and they jelled but not as firm as I was wanting, can someone tell me what to do different to make them firm!!!???

Also, I opened some of my Pomegranate/Blueberry jelly and my White Grape/Cherry Jelly and they were absolutely delicious on my home made Bratts and Hot links!!!

Thanks, have a blessed day!!! Lynn

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Hubby spent the morning picking green beans, then helped me snap them, so today, I'll be canning lots and lots of green beans! lol

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Greybear-Will you accept advise from an old coot (male)? IF so look into the site below The use of Pickling lime will give will give you a very chrisp bread and butter pickle. The only brand available in my area is Mrs. Wages in a pickle green plastic jar. the brand is owned by Precision Foods, St. Louis, MO 63141 IT ONLY SEEMS TO BE IN THE STORES during the pickle season but keeps well if you put the cap back on tight and tape over the threads. I use the recipe at this website, and they mean what they say "slices will be brittle"!

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/bread_butter_pickles.html

As for reusing the pickle juice, I have tried that for refrigerator pickles and the flavor was very weak and the pickles were very limp. I often use it up where a recipe calls for a dash of lemon juice or regular vinegar for taste. Frankly I have never seen the half gallon size jar, You are going to have a hard time for processing directions in that large jar. I would use them for refrigerator pickles but they take up a lot of room.
I hope this was a help, the ladies ignored me when I asked about using pickling lime, see the limp gerkin thread~gd

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
~gd, thank you so much!!! I will try this. I usually use the jars to store dry foods and such, just thought I might make big jars of pickles in them, I think the seal on them would reseal a couple of times, they get stuck on enough after opening!!!!LOL Lynn :cool:

~gd said:
Greybear-Will you accept advise from an old coot (male)? IF so look into the site below The use of Pickling lime will give will give you a very chrisp bread and butter pickle. The only brand available in my area is Mrs. Wages in a pickle green plastic jar. the brand is owned by Precision Foods, St. Louis, MO 63141 IT ONLY SEEMS TO BE IN THE STORES during the pickle season but keeps well if you put the cap back on tight and tape over the threads. I use the recipe at this website, and they mean what they say "slices will be brittle"!

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_06/bread_butter_pickles.html

As for reusing the pickle juice, I have tried that for refrigerator pickles and the flavor was very weak and the pickles were very limp. I often use it up where a recipe calls for a dash of lemon juice or regular vinegar for taste. Frankly I have never seen the half gallon size jar, You are going to have a hard time for processing directions in that large jar. I would use them for refrigerator pickles but they take up a lot of room.
I hope this was a help, the ladies ignored me when I asked about using pickling lime, see the limp gerkin thread~gd

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Greybear23, look for refrigerator pickle recipes, those turn out nice and crispy, are fairly easy to make and taste super.

I am canning chicken soup in my new pressure canner. It took me a while to get the gumption up to go for the pressure canner.

It had me rather intimidated. But I was not going to let the good chicken go to waste. It was one we had raised and butchered.

I am still working with the temperature control to get it to stay at 10 lbs.
I am now drinking my 2nd glass of wine to celebrate :lol:

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks Farmer Denise, I will and congratulations on the pressure canner, I have not talked myself into paying the price yet, know it is worth it but just have not done it! Lynn

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
FD -great job! It does my heart good that you celebrated! So often we tackle new things and then move on with life without taking time to celebrate our victories!

Greybear, just take baby steps. Also, if you know any older ladies you might ask around. My neighbor had a canner that was too heavy for her to use anymore in perfect shape.