WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

GaFarmGirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have just finished 7 pints of muscadine sauce and 2 and a half pints of muscadine jelly.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yesterday I did 14 pints of corn, 5qts of peaches with sugar syrup and 1qt + 4 pints in plain water. (A lady that I work with is a diabetic & had given me some canning jars since she wasn't going to use them anymore & I had promised her some sugar free peaches in exchange)

Today I'll be doing a few 1/2pints of pickled peppers. Probably only enough for 2 or 3 jars of sweet banana pepper slices & 1 or 2 mixed jalapeno & serrano slices for DH.

chicken stalker said:
soooo 200 ears of corn followed me home from the farmers market. Besides relish and just canning it plain anyone have some good recipes I can can up.
:ep That's alot of corn!

Just some ideas here......corn chowder, mixed veggies for soup or stew or???, cream corn (one book says the difference between kernal corn & cream corn is that cream corn is from scraping the cob after cutting the kernals...does that make sense?) you can always 'thicken' it after you open the jar.

drying.........cut it off the cobs & dry the kernals.....to be used as chicken/critter feed, rehydrate for people food or grind it for corn meal or flour (I have done this before). You could also try drying some left on the cob, just pull back the husk & hang until dry & then use as needed for people, critter food or meal or flour. (I have NOT done this before, but don't see why it wouldn't work)

You could also host a get together or a fund raiser or whatever & sell fresh roasted corn on the cob dipped in butter :drool Or you can just send me some & I'll take it from there :D

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just finished the last batch of pears today. My kids are old enough this year to really help. I couldn't have done all the peeling and coring without them. I bought 2 boxes, so 72 lbs. and got 35 quarts, plus plenty for eating fresh.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am just getting prepared for my pear journey. Hubby and my sis picked around 150 pounds of them from her tree on Saturday. I am not planning on canning as many as you did however just a couple dozen jars at the most. Hubby can make wine from the rest. :p

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
21 pints of cinnamon apple/pear sauce
8 pints of grape juice
3 quarts of grape juice

Now, I'm in the canning connundrum - have lots of wide mouth lids, ran out of wide mouth jars. Need more regular lids, but have lots of jars. Can't run to the store because watching kids. Good thing everything can sit until tomorrow - now here's hoping that I can somehow squeeze it into the fridge. :barnie

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
7 more pints of applesauce
3 1/2 pints of Beanie's caramel apple butter

Can you tell that the only jars I have left in the house are pints? Actually not quite true, I can see 4 empty quarts, but those are waiting for me to get my heinie in gear and do the pickled crab apples. Not happening this weekend, my sister is home from VA and we're visiting.

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
#20 potatoes for my friends pantry. Cost $2.97..Nice day

sparks

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Same friend whom I canned potatoes for and with yesterday came out today to clean out the dead plants out of my garden secretly. She was sure surprised when I finished work early!!!A great surprise!
:celebrate