WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OH MY! How can so much juice cook down into so little sauce? sigh.. by the time my almost 11 gallons of juice(okay.. probably more like 10 1/2 or a tad less) cooked down to the rich thickness that I like I only ended up with 7 quarts, 8 pints, 8 half pints and three 10oz jars. I did have some for dinner last night and this after noon but it sure seems like I should have had a bit more.
At least I know I'll get more out of the stewed tomatoes I don't cook them down for a day and a half! I feel like this>>>> :th but it sure does taste good all the year round..

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Corn Woman said:
BarredBuff said:
It was carmelization from the super sweet genetics of the corn now I don't know how it will affect it.
Thanks BB I thought that may be the case, these 2 batches are the only time I have ever canned corn (due to lack of freezer space) I needed some reassurance that I didn't mess something up.
I prefer canned corn myself, and we use a Super Sweet and it doesn't carmelize. But it could be my methodology as well.
I did add some super sweet white in there as well the variety is Vanilla Ice and it sure is sweet, more like candy than corn so maybe the color? I will have to break down and open up a jar but its so hard to do when there is still a little fresh corn in the garden.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
Prepped 3 boxes of romas on Sunday afternoon, and canned yesterday afternoon/evening. After several days of beautiful cool weather, it was (of course) really hot again yesterday. So we fired up the BBQ and I did all the processing out on the deck. It's not ideal but it sure kept the heat and humidity out of the house! Ended up with 19 quarts of tomatoes and 17 of tomato/vegetable juice.

Still have peaches, plums and apples to process. Need to run some errands this morning, so I'm hoping to get the plums processed into jam this afternoon, and a batch of peach something...haven't quite decided what yet, LOL. A co-worker is supplying the apples from her tree, so I have more coming. Think I'll make sauce from this first batch and butter and juice from the next ones. We also found a few trees that are on public land...more like crabapples, so I may use those for the butter and save these bigger ones for juice.
Crab apples make beautiful jelly :D

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Emerald said:
OH MY! How can so much juice cook down into so little sauce? sigh.. by the time my almost 11 gallons of juice(okay.. probably more like 10 1/2 or a tad less) cooked down to the rich thickness that I like I only ended up with 7 quarts, 8 pints, 8 half pints and three 10oz jars. I did have some for dinner last night and this after noon but it sure seems like I should have had a bit more.
At least I know I'll get more out of the stewed tomatoes I don't cook them down for a day and a half! I feel like this>>>> :th but it sure does taste good all the year round..
I grow Martinos Roma an heirloom that has a high pectin content. When I want a sauce thats thicker I try to use about 1/3 of that variey and it lessens the cooking time and helps thicken up the sauce. It's hard to think that out of 11 gallons you get so much less but I bet the color is amazing and the flavor :drool Well done Emerald.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Corn Woman said:
Emerald said:
I grow Martinos Roma an heirloom that has a high pectin content. When I want a sauce thats thicker I try to use about 1/3 of that variey and it lessens the cooking time and helps thicken up the sauce. It's hard to think that out of 11 gallons you get so much less but I bet the color is amazing and the flavor :drool Well done Emerald.
Well the color and flavor did turn out but washing the pot on the outside this morning I found that what I thought was a bigger pot(I have dyscalculia like dyslexia but with numbers) was not as big.. I am so math bad .. my big stock pot is 22 quarts!! (where is that embarrassed smiley anyhoo?) so filled up to the top it was only 5.5 gallons of juice.. okay then my end result was not bad at all! one of these days I'll get a brain transplant and know my math! ;) So about 5.5 gallons cooked down to just under 4 in total.. Teach me not to check the bottom of my big expensive pot..
I do usually plant several different tomatoes for canning.. my canning favorite.. Purple Russion.. a nice meaty reddish purple paste tomato.. very nice for fresh eating too.. that and Opalka.. they normally make a thick sauce for me. but had health issues so didn't plant even a 1/4 of what I normally do.. will be buying two more half bushels this weekend I hope.. it is stewed tomato time!:D

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Today it's ground beef, beef roast and chicken. Spent yesterday afternoon, grinding, cooking and cutting up. It's all in the fridge and ready to pack and process. Gotta make a run for more jars first, tho, LOL. Hoping to prep carrots and mushrooms while the meat's processing. Busy, busy, busy ;)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Last night canned up grape juice from 4 plastic grocery bags. I only got 9 quarts, but also a pitcher of juice and 6 cups juice/pulp to make into jam today.

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Fired up the ole pressure canner yesterday...5 qts beef roast, 6qts chicken, 12 pts ground beef, 5 pts beef stock. Prepping carrots today for canning tomorrow morning; hopefully can get to the Sustainability Fair in the afternoon. Then the pressure canning should be done...whew! It just takes soooooo long! LOL Next week is apples...got plenty so I'm going to do some experimentation around my work hours all week.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Did fajita meat and hamburger meat yesterday. Potatoes and pizza sauce today with tomato 'leftovers' and hash browns in the dehydrator.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Crab apples--apple sauce is coming out the wazoo for the next few days :)