WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Being fairly close in results per batch, only the convenience of it doing the watching for me is the difference. If I've committed to a day of canning, I'm not going anywhere. So, I'll save the $$ for now and do my own watching.

Once the cooling is low enough I can open the canner, remove hot jars, add filled jars of next batch in same hot water & go again. It's partly confidence of use that's selling the electric programmable ones, IMO.
It was for sure the confidence of use that sold it for me. Now that I’m familiar with using it, I think I would be more willing to try the manual kind. Heck, I’m already more confident using my older GoWISE, since I can see how similar it is to the Presto electric one.

The Presto owner’s manual mentions using the same hot water to do subsequent batches. But you are right, you have to wait an hour and a half to open the lid, so I don’t know how many runs I could squeeze in in one day. Maybe when I’m more experienced and have larger volumes to can, I will get a rhythm down.

I have PTSD memories of my mother’s canning days. Always in the hot summer. She was always stressed out and grumpy. We kids were banned from the house all day. Had to eat tomato sandwiches for lunch. 😖 That was before I learned to enjoy tomatoes.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So today’s canning kind of was a large amount. I did 2 pounds of great northern beans and 2 pounds of pinto beans. I forgot to soak them overnight, so I started at 9am with the boil 2 minutes and sit one hour method for the pintos, and the pressure cook 2 minutes method for the gr northerns.

The pressure cooker method got the beans ready for putting in jars 40 minutes faster. (I took notes as I went.) And that was even with a fail in the safety valve gasket where I had to remove the lid, put the safety valve back with a new gasket and start the 2 minute pressure cook over. As a result, those beans were a bit mushy.

So in all, I got 14 pints of beans plus another 2.5 cups for the fridge. Going to do chicken and bean enchilada bake this week.

0FE11124-C9D5-409A-8DFF-4415540FFA44.jpeg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't soak mine. Pick thru, rinse well in colander. Into jars, add salt & hot water, lid, into warmed water in canner. They're fine. Actually cooked & not mushy. Don't overfull jars. Just an FYI.

Have to look up measurement of wet beans into jar. Thinking 3/4 cup in pt jar. Looks way too few but perfect when they come out! Expansion of bean as they soak up the water. 👍

I like having beans "ready to use" ! Ya know they're like $1-1.35 a can in store. These average 35-50 cent a pint, including cost of lid.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't soak mine. Pick thru, rinse well in colander. Into jars, add salt & hot water, lid, into warmed water in canner. They're fine. Actually cooked & not mushy. Don't overfull jars. Just an FYI.

Have to look up measurement of wet beans into jar. Thinking 3/4 cup in pt jar. Looks way too few but perfect when they come out! Expansion of bean as they soak up the water. 👍

I like having beans "ready to use" ! Ya know they're like $1-1.35 a can in store. These average 35-50 cent a pint, including cost of lid.

Does salt affect beans when canning? Im just wondering if it would make them tough to not add it.

I know salt is optional for tuna. Have done it without before. I won't use it this summer when I do tuna. We're 8 jars left anyway.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
So today’s canning kind of was a large amount. I did 2 pounds of great northern beans and 2 pounds of pinto beans. I forgot to soak them overnight, so I started at 9am with the boil 2 minutes and sit one hour method for the pintos, and the pressure cook 2 minutes method for the gr northerns.

The pressure cooker method got the beans ready for putting in jars 40 minutes faster. (I took notes as I went.) And that was even with a fail in the safety valve gasket where I had to remove the lid, put the safety valve back with a new gasket and start the 2 minute pressure cook over. As a result, those beans were a bit mushy.

So in all, I got 14 pints of beans plus another 2.5 cups for the fridge. Going to do chicken and bean enchilada bake this week.

View attachment 25509
That deer container is cool

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Does salt affect beans when canning? Im just wondering if it would make them tough to not add it.
I've done without. Didn't detect much difference. Hey, beans are pretty soft, cooked. The heat/pressure seems to breakdown the skins.

You're doing the no salt diets. I was raised on one most of life, dad was told no salt. Soooo.... But as a result I've always been low salt eating. I still must have on tomato sandwich (if no bacon) or eggs. Yeah, eggs aren't my fav, gotta have help there. But I can chow down on a tomato in the garden! No salt🤣 always have a couple cherry type growing just to eat while out there.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've done without. Didn't detect much difference. Hey, beans are pretty soft, cooked. The heat/pressure seems to breakdown the skins.

You're doing the no salt diets. I was raised on one most of life, dad was told no salt. Soooo.... But as a result I've always been low salt eating. I still must have on tomato sandwich (if no bacon) or eggs. Yeah, eggs aren't my fav, gotta have help there. But I can chow down on a tomato in the garden! No salt🤣 always have a couple cherry type growing just to eat while out there.

Thanks. It would help with some of the quick meals to have beans ready.

Hubby's problem is directly related to one of the drugs he's taking. It causes sodium to be retained in the blood.

He's still upset about that fried chicken that tasted too salty now. Was complaining about it again last night. I think I'll try and make him some breaded chicken tenders for dinner tonight.