WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Today's canning:

10 more pints of green beans - Enough with the green beans already ! From now on I am taking my beans to work to see if I can sell them. ;)

3 pints of salsa

4 pints and 1 quart of dill pickles
You're still getting beans? I wish! They were done weeks ago.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If I get ambitious today, I'm going to pick apples from next door (free!), and then I will put them up, probably as applesauce.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My plan was to can peaches today. I received a whole box free. I covered them with boiling water and started to peel. Something was wrong, they are kinda mealy and not very sweet. Should I just give them to the chickens???

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Remember my Rattlesnakes? They are a heritage pole bean... a bean lovers bean for sure! They produce from early in the spring to hard freeze as long as you keep them watered and picked every couple of days.

I have about a 20 foot row of them and have all the beans we can eat for a year canned - PLUS I have given beans away to family and friends. I am going to be blanching and freezing some for my sister now and possibly selling some at school until it freezes.

I can all fall and winter as well.

I freeze most of my tomatoes as they ripen and then can them up and make red sauce, salsa, bbq sauce and ketchup in the cooler months. I also freeze my berries and peaches when I first harvest them and make all of my jams and jellies right before the holidays! I have more time in the cooler months and the steam from the canner is much more welcome in a cold winter house.:D

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
miss_thenorth said:
Remember my Rattlesnakes? They are a heritage pole bean... a bean lovers bean for sure! They produce from early in the spring to hard freeze as long as you keep them watered and picked every couple of days.

I have about a 20 foot row of them and have all the beans we can eat for a year canned - PLUS I have given beans away to family and friends. I am going to be blanching and freezing some for my sister now and possibly selling some at school until it freezes.

I can all fall and winter as well.

I freeze most of my tomatoes as they ripen and then can them up and make red sauce, salsa, bbq sauce and ketchup in the cooler months. I also freeze my berries and peaches when I first harvest them and make all of my jams and jellies right before the holidays! I have more time in the cooler months and the steam from the canner is much more welcome in a cold winter house.:D
I LOVE rattlesnake beans! Probably the only kind of bean I would eat when I was a kid besides green beans. Unfortunately the fam doesn't really like beans so I don't grow them.
I got the V8 juice done today but I guess it'll be tomorrow before I actually get it canned up and by then I'll have more tomatoes.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
freemotion said:
Not for me! I can a lot more in the cooler weather, since I don't can veggies or sweet stuff.
Freemotion what do you can most beside catfood? :D when you say you can in the cooler months what is it?
I do mostly quick meals or ingredients for quick meals: Beef stew, chicken soup, meatloaf, cubes of beef and pork, cream of mushroom soup (thanks again, farmerlor!), boiled peanuts, chili, spaghetti sauce with meat, and pizza sauce. And lots of unflavored chicken broth and a few jars of flavored broth for when someone is sick....a great thing to drop off to a sick friend, too.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Today I canned 3 more quarts of apple crisp filling, and 6 half pints of cinnamon-lemon honey. I have a crock pot full of apples cooking down for applesauce, then my 'must can' canning season is over!

Maybe I will 'recreationally' can soups, pumpkin, beans, ect, but my hands and fingers are burned, calloused and split. School has started back up, fall is in the air and it's the perfect time for bike rides and hikes, knitting, cheesemaking, and other hobbies. I'm ready to sit back and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
sufficientforme said:
freemotion said:
Not for me! I can a lot more in the cooler weather, since I don't can veggies or sweet stuff.
Freemotion what do you can most beside catfood? :D when you say you can in the cooler months what is it?
I do mostly quick meals or ingredients for quick meals: Beef stew, chicken soup, meatloaf, cubes of beef and pork, cream of mushroom soup (thanks again, farmerlor!), boiled peanuts, chili, spaghetti sauce with meat, and pizza sauce. And lots of unflavored chicken broth and a few jars of flavored broth for when someone is sick....a great thing to drop off to a sick friend, too.
Thanks, I am just trying to get ideas especially for low to no sugar items and no wheat, dairy, eggs!