WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think the tomatoes are finally fixin' to die out as it's been very cold and snowy the last couple of days but now it's back in the 70s so who knows. Anyway, today is salsa day.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just finished three days of canning and I can't figure out how to post my pictures :(

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
You haven't? Why girl, we need to get you a slam bang case of OCD like I have !!!

FarmerDenise said:
Ldychef2k said:
Today, with 28 jars of potato cubes, 7 pints of ground turkey breast, and 7 quarts of potato chowder base, I hit 500 jars canned since June. And, it was my birthday. A twofer.
Wow, I haven't counted my jars, but I know for sure I'm nowhere close to that. Very impressive :bow

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
You haven't? Why girl, we need to get you a slam bang case of OCD like I have !!!

FarmerDenise said:
Ldychef2k said:
Today, with 28 jars of potato cubes, 7 pints of ground turkey breast, and 7 quarts of potato chowder base, I hit 500 jars canned since June. And, it was my birthday. A twofer.
Wow, I haven't counted my jars, but I know for sure I'm nowhere close to that. Very impressive :bow
LadyChef...you crack me up! Happy belated Bday!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thanks, Dace !

Today, canned 12 half pints of ground turkey loaf and 14 pints of pears. Have 20 pounds of apples to do tomorrow.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We are canning a 1/2 bushel of Gala apple rings in extra light syrup today.
We are waiting for the Mutsu's to make our apple sauce with.

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Everything I have read says canning anything in olive oil is a big no-no. Botulism runs roughshod over garlic in olive oil. Italian restaurants used to put garlic oil on the table for dipping bread in, and they had to switch to serving it from the fridge and slightly warmed.

The only way to do this is to refrigerate it without canning it at all. Or if she leaves out the olive oil, she will be fine.

Others may have a different take, but this is what I have read.

Greybear23 said:
Have a question for you resourceful folks, I have a friend that wants to know if she dries tomatoes and puts them in jars with garlic and basil then covers them in olive oil, can she can them to use later and if so how, I think the oil would preserve them unless they are out of the oil but can she water bath them and seal them or would she need to pressure can them, any help would be wonderful, have a great day, Lynn
Thanks so much, you all are so resourceful!!! Lynn

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
As with so many, my family survived the Great Depression. I was taught from an early age how to make something out of nothing. (Unfortunately, it didn't seem to work on my ex husband.)

Have a wonderful day, all !

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
12 pints dessert apples with cinnamon
16 pints beef meatloaf

Winco is going back to regular prices on jars. I bought all they had at the sale price: $5.49 for pints, $5.98 for quarts. Seven cases.