WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I juiced some elderberries for the first time and have about 50 oz in the freezer. I have to get back to the patch soon for another picking, and think I might get the same amount again. It doesn't smell too yummy. Does anyone know if I can mix it with raspberries or something, or will it taste different than it smells? It is a beautiful black-purple. Maybe I should try to make wine with it?

prism

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Just found out my sister has some crabapples this year! :ya
Cool! What are you going to make with them? I wish I had more because the crabapple butter and jelly I made are already being eaten up too quick!

Greybear23

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Been busy this LABOR Day!!! Put up 9 half pints of Cranberry/Jalapeno jelly, 3 pints of pickled Okra, 1 half pint mixed pickled peppers, 1 pint and 3 half pints of Tomato jelly, and 5 pints of Sweet and Sour sauce, then we are making about 8 quarts of Chili for supper and the rest goes into the freezer, also have BBQ Chicken breast in the crock pot for supper!!! Now have to figure out what to make with it!!! Lynn

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've been canning tomatoes for a week now. They just keep coming in by the bushel.
I'd SO love some crabapples. Mom used to make spiced crabapple pickles.....are they called pickles? I don't know but the whole apple and stem would go in the jar with this spicy sweet syrup and they were the only thing I loved more than bread and butter or watermelon pickles.....note that I seem to gravitate towards the sweet pickles.....hmmmmm.......

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
That crabapple pickle recipe sounds VERY intriguing. Do you have it to share?
I don't have the recipe but when I asked Mom I did a google search and this looks very close to the one she used:

1 1/2 qt. crabapples with stems
1 qt. vinegar
4 c. sugar
2 sticks cinnamon
1 tbsp. whole cloves
1 tsp. mace
1 tsp. allspice

Choose round crabapples, uniform in size. Wash and drain. Do not peel. Mix sugar and vinegar; add spice bag; bring to a boil. Add crabapples and heat slowly, being careful not to burst the fruit. Let stand in syrup overnight. Pack cold, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Cover with boiling hot syrup. Adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I juiced some elderberries for the first time and have about 50 oz in the freezer. I have to get back to the patch soon for another picking, and think I might get the same amount again. It doesn't smell too yummy. Does anyone know if I can mix it with raspberries or something, or will it taste different than it smells? It is a beautiful black-purple. Maybe I should try to make wine with it?
It tastes great once made into something :) Otherwise, not so much.