WHAT ARE YOU CANNING TODAY?

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well we ended up getting 7Qt &1Pt dill pickles ,2 Qt tomato juice and 2 Qt watermelon rind pickles

Firefyter-Emt

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's been a while scene the last time I posted up something. I have been canning a little bit here and there, but the bulk is done in the fall for us.

Anyway, today netted just about 10 quarts of spaghetti sauce. The tomato's were grown from seed (Roma's) and the sauce is a pepper, onion & garlic sauce with fresh herbs. I also have about 8 quarts of tomato's that have been cooked down, run through the food mill and are cooking down overnight as I type. ;)

PS, I have a quart with a 2" head-space in the fridge.... :rolleyes:
82110-A.jpg

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
Farmfresh said:
VickiLynn said:
Salsa in BWB - but I may have messed it up. The recipe said to simmer the tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc. for 20 minutes, then add 1 cup lime juice and simmer another 10 minutes. I wasn't paying attention, and added the lime juice in the beginning with the other ingredients.

Does cooking the lime juice longer change the acid levels? or just the flavor? Is there any reason it would be unsafe?
The acidity level should be OK. How long did you BWB the jars and what size were they.
It is pints and they were in the BWB for 20 minutes.
They should have be fine as long as you have a good jar seal. :)

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
VickiLynn said:
Farmfresh said:
The acidity level should be OK. How long did you BWB the jars and what size were they.
It is pints and they were in the BWB for 20 minutes.
They should have be fine as long as you have a good jar seal. :)
The seals look good. I think they should be OK; I just needed to hear a little reassurance from someone else. Thanks.

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well today it was 4Qt of pickled cauilfower and 2Qt of pickled mushrooms that I got off the produce clerence at the store;)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Holla all, I am going to be canning some jalapenos this evening. I found what looks to be a pretty good recipe, but I am not sure if it will can.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1936,154171-227200,00.html

It has the carrots and onions that my BIL mentioned to me. He eats authentic pickled Mexican stuff. But can I water bath it with those veggies? Can I water bath it because of the vinegar? Or are the veggies a problem?

Just wondering. Let me know what you think.

Gina
Any opinions???

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Listening to the the pickle jar lids pop as I type! 12 pints garlic dills. This week we did tomatoes, week before that pie cherries and currant jelly.

My parents live near several commercial orchards. I love getting washed, sorted, pitted cherries right off the line for $1 per pound. Makes life easy.

Latest posts