What are you having for your Christmas meal this year?

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
snapshot said:
Chinese food! Homemade so there is no msg.
Us too! We love doing a bunch of appetizers at Christmas because we have turkey at hubby's family on Christmas Eve, and on Boxing day with my family.

This year I'm making spring rolls, crab rangoons (my favourite!), potstickers, and our main meal will be brown rice and a ginger-leek chicken stirfry. I make all the dipping sauces too. I worked at a chinese restaurant for 9 years so I love cooking chinese (I was a waitress, not the cook).

The only thing from home will be the leeks from our garden this year... everything else is just coming from the grocery store.
I'm making a crab rangoon dip as one of the apps!

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What ever varments the dogs bring back. I won't be supportin NO lazy dog.

Seriously people, dont get upset. Its a quote from "Lonesome Dove."

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Since DD went off to school and became an independent young woman, we don't go as all-out for Christmas (though she'll be staying with us in the next day or two - couldn't get out here for Christmas Eve). But...

Our meal will be a salad, a Mexican-style soup (tasty & nutritious), baked potatoes & sweet potatoes... and, since a friend is eating with us, it may also include something she might bring. Plus home-made ginger cookies.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
deb4o said:
Love crab ragoons-so this is a dip?

recipe please;)
Crab Rangoon Dip
by mommy2kai on July 22, 2009 in Appetizers, Cold Dips

July 22, 2009 AppetizersCold Dips 0.00 Mitt(s)
0 Rating(s)
Prep Time 20 Minutes
Cook Time 20 Minutes
Difficulty Easy

Recipe DescriptionJust like your favorite Chinese restaurant appetizer!
Preparation Instructions1. In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, soy sauce, lemon juice and garlic. Mix with a hand mixer until just blended, and the cream cheese is smooth.

2. Fold in the crab meat, stirring until just blended. Stir in chives, if desired. Cover and refrigerate.

3. Pre-heat oil to medium-high in a large skillet. Cut won-ton wrappers in half diagonally. Fry in small batches, for about 30-45 seconds, or until puffy and golden. Watch them closely, they can burn pretty quickly! Drain on paper towels.

About 20 minutes before serving, take the dip out of the fridge to soften a bit. Serve with the won-ton chips.

Note- if youre not in to deep frying the won-tons, you can bake them. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees and place your cut won-ton wrappers on a lightly oiled cookie sheet. Season them with a dash of sea salt or some grated Parmesan if youre feeling froggy. Bake for 9-10 minutes, until lightly golden.

The texture of the baked chips vs. deep fried is much different. The fried ones are closer to a real crab rangoon.

Feeds a party or one really hungry guy watching football.
Ingredients2 packages 8oz. Cream Cheese, Softened To Room Temperature
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
2 cans 10-12 Oz. Crab Meat, Well Drained And Picked Over
1 package Won-ton Wrappers (usually In The Produce Section At The Market)
Freshly Chopped Chives To Taste
Oil For Deep Frying

This recipe is from Tastykitchen.com by mommy2kai

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The dip sounds great... I think I'm going to do that instead of the actual appetizers, one less step... although I'd have to serve with sweet and sour sauce too cause I LOVE dipping the crab rangoons in the sweet and sour.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Snap--Thanks for the recipe, me and DS can eat our wt in ragoons(and honey we ain't lightweights).

this will be so much easier than putting them together and deep frying them.

Iam so doing this for new years eve..

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
You are welcomed! Everything turned out great for my dinner but was more prep work than I had thought it would be. I used two different recipes for the sweet and sour pork. Got a little confusing but I liked the sauce in one recipe and the batter for the pork in another recipe. I used a jar of my zucchini marmalade for part of the sauce recipe.