What can we do?

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been a member here at SS for a little over 2 months, and I really like this forum. BUT, I would love to see it injected with many more ACTIVE members as I am sure you would to.

What can we do to attract more members? What do we have to do to get SS as popular as BYC?

I just posted a "plug" for SS in the BYC "Homesteaders" forum. Heck, I was a member of BYC for 3 years before I ever checked out SS. Maybe we'll get a few more from my plug.

So, how do we grow this forum? I am more than willing to work at it, so let's put our minds together and come up with some ideas.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No worries, @CJ1

I appreciate you all's thoughts on the topic here… One thing I gathered and that is what I'm going to run with is that we all here love this community and want it to work, whether it's via journaling, starting new threads, posting on each others' threads/journals… preferably all of the above. If something interesting happens, start a thread on it. If you find something interesting to share, come share it here. If you have something to say, say it… We're a pretty civil bunch here… And when we're not, well, then I'll step in and referee

View attachment 1501

I think this is a good idea.

No normallyt visiting more than a couple sites, I went to some other "homesteading" sites and for ME, it appeared that many are so similar to the issue brought up here -- huge member numbers and few member numbers posting (at least often) and there were many, many days with no current posts. The topics are pretty much similar, with the exception of those "current" problems, injuries, newbies, etc. Because of that, I feel pretty good with this forum....& BYH, BYC. We all know that the SHIF stuff will never end.

It's nice when the responses are considerate of one another.

As to "how I do it" --- I can just say that IMO there are so, so many times I read a "new" revelation from scientific studies that make me think "where have you been, we oldies have known that for YEARS". It's along the lines of "raw milk". YES, you can get sick if certain things are present but, people have been dinking raw milk for years and tiny % of real issues. In fact, fewer than what we see in the "controlled" processed product. It's a choice.

Moonshadows, I hope you continue with us as I enjoy your posts. PLUS -- I want to see the greenhouse in bloom :pop

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't really read or participate in the journals. I see a forum as discussion site where people can hold conversations. Journals don't lend themselves well to that purpose and may be a factor in holding this site back from blossoming.

Last edited:

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to disagree that the journals are "great" contributions since they are not in the spirit of what is the definition of a forum...." a discussion site where people can hold conversations." By definition, a journal is something that is more of a private writing, like a diary.The "nitty gritty" would be much better served in an open forum, and would probably draw more discussion from members from what I have seen on this and other forums. This is the only forum I have ever run across that allows "journals" and this forum seems to have a problem attracting and keeping "active" members...long term members...and, particularly male members. I really believe there is a correlation here, but most journal members seem to want to "defend" their journals. Perhaps I would be of the same mind if I spent so much time writing in my own journal, and I can't fault them, but I think these folks are particularly biased after all the effort they have put into their journals. I would probably be too if I had a journal of hundreds or thousands of entries that I thought, or more likely hoped, was of interest to everyone.

And, no one should ever walk away if being attacked on a forum. That is when the admin or moderator must step in. If they don't, the forum does not deserve to thrive since those running it don't really know or appreciate their role, and the forum will suffer.

If what you really want is just a small group of regulars who post niceties, then you have it. If what you want is a vibrant forum with many homesteading ideas and contributions so we can all learn, be challenged and exchange significant ideas, there is a lot of work to be done here.

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but as someone who is rather new here, I have a fresh look, and there is a real forum problem when you have almost 6k members and 14k+ messages, and the same handful are the only ones posting on a regular basis...and most of that is in laughs, quotes and journals. I even found myself posting in laughs and quotes lately, and then realized...what does this have to do with homesteading?

Am I the only one who sees this? This forum is basically comprised of a dozen or so active members who stroke one another. No insult intended, but I am really amazed at how some members view this forum as a healthy or really vibrant homesteading forum. It really is more of a homesteading coffee clutch.

Once again, I mean no insults, but I am a member at a few homesteading forums. This one pales in comparison.

You can disagree with what I say, refute what I say, deny what I say, argue with what I say, or work at raising the level of this forum. More active members need to be actively sought, and things like laughs, quotes and journals need to take a back seat, otherwise, IMO, this forum will continue as is. And, if you are fine with that...hey, that's OK, too. But I am not. I came here to learn, be challenged and share. So far, I have been disappointed, and it looks like the great majority of the almost 6k members share my thoughts and feelings since they no longer post.

CJ1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I know I haven't been here all that long. So I can't speak to past transgressions. But I haven't had a single issue here. Wether that is because Sumi is an awesome mod or because we are a low traffic site is up for debate. Or a bit of both. Love ya Sumi.

Honestly though. I think that people look for more active forums. They want to see their topics with instant replies. Its a product of the instant gratification mindset. That isn't possible with a small community.

Look at these other self sufficient forums and see what type of discussions they are having. The ones with tripple the volume have political discussions, talk of end of the world situations and all of that and corosive people. All the things I try to avoid.

I would rather wait two days to have a response to a question than to dig through hundreds of toxic responses. So personally I prefer this small community.

Oh yeah. And Sumi. If you need any help. Let me know. I will do whatever I can with the little time I have to lighten the burden on you. I know that dealing with spammers alone can be a chore.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
No worries, @CJ1 We get those moments. I usually stay off the forums and go misbehave on FB when I had an adult beverage or two :p

I appreciate you all's thoughts on the topic here… One thing I gathered and that is what I'm going to run with is that we all here love this community and want it to work, whether it's via journaling, starting new threads, posting on each others' threads/journals… preferably all of the above. If something interesting happens, start a thread on it. If you find something interesting to share, come share it here. If you have something to say, say it… We're a pretty civil bunch here… And when we're not, well, then I'll step in and referee ;)

@Beekissed that incident you mentioned, I remember that. It was one of those agree to disagree and move on moments. Easier said than done, I know… We know appreciate your input here, I know I do. I appreciate all of you.

Now, let's go start some threads and do what we are all here to do, kick back, have a coffee (or a shot, in CJ's case), talk goats and chickens and homesteading and share funnies and pics and quotes in-between, just for fun and let's all get along.

Here's a pic of one of my favourite places in Ireland, Keem beach on Achill Island, just because

13254061_719851284785114_7642837433276440184_n.jpg

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
This is a fantastic thread! Thanks @MoonShadows for starting it!

We're very open to ideas and suggestions on continued activity, growth, and engagement on the special sufficient living community we have here! Obviously the best things we have immediate control over is being very helpful, friendly, and responsive to new members that join and post, and also posting really interesting discussion topics.

Keep up the great work!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I've been "off" for the last few days and was thrilled to pop in this morning and see a bunch of new threads and activity! You guys rock :hugs I'm still catching up and reading everything, I will do a another run through and reply to some of the new threads later today.

Latest posts