What did you cook from scratch today?

Homemaker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mind if I join in? All of these recipes are very inspiring. I'm a beginner so please bear(bare?) :) with me.
Today was:
Homemade yogurt for breakfast
Lunch- A stuffed tomato. I cut the center out of a large tomato from the garden and filled it with cooked brown rice (from the store), green pepper (garden) and a little bit of leftover freeze dried veggies(no I did not freeze dry them myself :lol:) from the pantry because I had to use them up they were getting stale. I'm up to my knees in tomatoes right now so this will most likely be my lunch for the next week or so. But, that's fine with me I waited all year for REAL tomatoes.
Dinner- Went to my parish festival for some taco's they were homemade. Just not by me :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
freemotion said:
Not today, but this week I made two tomato/basil pies with freshly-ground wheat, home-rendered lard, neighbor-grown tomatoes, home-grown basil, and home-made cheese. Holy cow, they were good for supper with chicken on the grill!
Oh my--Could you share that recipe? It sounds incredible!!

I whipped up a tomato, basil, onion, garlic, fresh mozzarella cheese, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and dry garlic toast salad for lunch. Yum!
It is as simple as it sounds. Bake a one crust pie shell, line it with slices of cheese and put it back in the oven to melt the cheese. Then take it out again and layer sliced tomatoes, garlic, salt and pepper, whole fresh basil leaves, cheese, more tomatoes and top with cheese. Bake until the cheese is brown and bubbly.

Use any cheese you like, drain the tomato slices for a while or run them through the salad spinner, and plan on eating the entire pie in a sitting as it gets quite watery and the crust will sog up really fast. I try to tip as much water out as possible right away, dish it up right away, and tip more water out between removing slices from the plate. The two of us will eat half a pie each for supper with a meat.

I also like to make it a complete meal sometimes by adding cooked leftover meat or cooked sausage to it. It is a meal on its own for me, but dh likes meat with every meal. I sometimes add a layer of thinly sliced zuchinni or cooked spinach that I squeezed dry. The variations can be endless.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I put a small piece of beef in the crock this morning....let it cook on low with pepper and garlic all day. For lunch we had BLTs'. Fresh from the garden L and T. and the bacon was from our pig, last fall. ( yes we still have a few packs of bacon, I hid in the freezer! :)
Then I took the bacon grease...put it in a pot, and got it warm....drained a jar of home canned green beans, and dumped them in the hot bacon grease and added pepper. Let them simmer in the grease for a few minutes, and added some water....then a few handfulls of new potatos from the garden.
Dinner was sooo yum! I made a cake because my oldest brother was supposed to come out, and his B Day is the 25th. So I made "him" a cake. Well....he called and said he can't come untill tomorrow....so, on the counter is a big moist, yellow cake with the most creamy, fudgy, yummy iceing....sitting under glass...looking so lonely..calling me...but I cant cut into it untill tomorrow. :/ I was able to swipe a finger full of that iceing, and cover my tracks! :p Looks like that poor cake will have to sit there all night...I just know I wont be able to sleep!!! :lol:

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mayonnaise. I prefer to use olive oil in my mayonnaise, but it tends to make it rather bitter. I read somewhere (here?) recently that this is less noticeable if mixing by hand; usually I use the blender. So today I pulled out the wire whisk, and did it more slowly. My arm got a workout, but the finished product is milder in taste (though, of course, still quite olive-y). I used 2 straight from the nest egg yolks (1 1/2 really, as one was a pullet egg), a large pinch of mustard powder, a pinch of cayenne, a bit of salt, and about 1 cup of extra virgin olive oil. On the advice of a friend, and good cook, I didn't add the lemon juice till after the emulsion was well under way - as the mixture got very hard to whisk after about half a cup of oil I whisked in 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, which loosened it up nicely; and then repeated that a little later as it got stiff again. In all I used 3 teaspoons of lemon juice. And, to finish, 1 tablespoon of whey, and now the bowl is on the kitchen counter (a la Sally Fallon) to ferment a bit before going in the fridge. Tomorrow I'll be using it in a chicken salad from the roast chicken I did the other evening.

Tomorrow's lunch might be a chicken salad sandwich, with the egg bread that will be going in the oven in another 20 minutes.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I can only open this thread AFTER I've filled my belly.... :p

We had a very early supper at Chipotles today, a rare treat, so I made a peach pie for "supper" and had a big hunk of homemade Gouda with it. I'm stuffed and satisfied.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I made a cob salad yesterday but we filled up on other stuff and didn't get around to eating it. Guess what I am bringing to work with me today :D

I also made some panna cotta yesterday. Made the vanilla with a bit of cinnamon. Topped it with fresh sliced strawberries and sugar-free whipped cream. Yummmm

sweetproserpina

Power Conserver
Reaction score
deb4o said:
sorry to hike but I just gotta have that Morrocan lemon chicken recipe,
Sweet could you please post.
Sure!

Moroccan Lemon Chicken

olive oil for pan
1 large chicken breast (this worked for me and DH, but you could do two)
1 small onion sliced thin
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/3 cup olives, sliced (I omit these 'cause we don't like 'em :)
1 tbsp honey
1/2 cup drained rinsed canned chick peas (optional)
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

In a 3qt heavy saucepan heat oil over med-high heat, season chicken wih salt and pepper and then brown in pan. Transfer chicken to plate and reduce heat to med. Add onion to pan and cook, stirring until softened. Add cumin, paprika, cinnamon, zest, and flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in broth, olives, and honey.

Return chicken to pan and simmer, uncovered, 8 minutes (or until chicken is cooked through and sauce begins to thicken. Transfer chicken to plates. Add chickpeas. Simmer sauce 3 minutes, and season to taste with s&p. Pour sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.

Great with rice or anything that with soak up all that good sauce.

Cheers,
sweetp

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey free...that tom/basil pie sounds delish!

Yesterday for lunch I made: grilled open face sourdough tomato basil sammys.

Slather one side of the SD in either bacon fat or butter, lay down mozzarella, sliced maters, fresh basil, EVOO, sea salt and a grating of parm.....cover with a large lid to help the cheese melt.

Super yummy and easy!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I guess not really cooking, but DS and I made homemade vanilla ice cream with chocolate swirls. Actually, I did cook the chocolate sauce for the swirls.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks sweetp, Iam thinking that will be a great dish to use one of my first ever homegrown chickens.mmmmmmmmmm

Latest posts