What did you do in your garden today?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Even here in now zone 7, volunteer tomatoes don't have enough grow season to produce much of any thing before frost gets them. I must start seeds indoors to get a tomato crop. We have volunteer tomatoes pop up in the weirdest places, outside of the garden. I'm thinking wild birds are mainly the seed spreaders.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️
The other problem here is that I have to grow short season tomatoes which are all F1 hybrids. I have saved a few volunteers over the winter and none have been worth growing.

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you grow a short season hybrid and plant the seeds, chances are good that you'll get something close to the parent. The vast majority of modern tomatoes don't out-cross (the result of a major genetic bottleneck) so most are self pollinated.

Grow seeds from fruits you like (particularly the earliest seeds from a short season variety) and move closer to what you need.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you grow a short season hybrid and plant the seeds, chances are good that you'll get something close to the parent. The vast majority of modern tomatoes don't out-cross (the result of a major genetic bottleneck) so most are self pollinated.

Grow seeds from fruits you like (particularly the earliest seeds from a short season variety) and move closer to what you need.
Tried it, it doesn't work that way. You have no idea what you will get until it produces and none of the ones I tried were anywhere near close to the F1 hybrid they came from. By then, it is too late.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
planted peas and my early possible beans. :) peas are late and this is the latest i've planted the early beans in several years, but i do like to have some early fresh beans. both are usually well worth it.

i have to be sure to keep an eye on the moisture levels since i don't have a hose out yet for the gardens and besides that the faucet on the back of the house isn't working so we'll need that replaced. :(

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Got some Roma tomatoes at FFH and some peppers as well. Out by the herb box for the night and hoping to put them in the garden this weekend. Surprised that my sister sent me a red lobster card. Sure will use it for Sunday, yeah!

Happy Mother's weekend to all the mama's here!

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nope, no Red Lobster for this mama. Hub is ay hospital. How convenient!
Screenshot_20240512_114603_Facebook.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The interesting thing is the beans. Dry beans popped right up, even in the cold, but I haven't seen a single green bean. Not sure whether I should buy new seed, replant, or try something else in that space.
Green beans need warmer soil temperature. I plant them 3-4 weeks after everything else

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I bought tomato plants and got them in the ground. DS17 did it and he has a reputation for killing transplants. But he watered them t9day, so maybe there's hope?

He claims he planned kohlrabi. 🤷‍♀️ we'll see if it grows

I need to get some garden time in soon!