What did you do in your orchard today?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The other problem here has nothing to do with the zones. If the tree/plant can't tolerate alkaline soils, it doesn't matter how cold hardy it is, it won't survive here.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
it was just an example. they seemed to have good info.

wanted to add Siberian C is also used for cold hardy root stock and it's said to produce true from pit. Makes the variety appealing to me.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
The information I found is "was used for cold hardy root stock and reproduces mostly true from the seed". I suspect finding anything more than someone who claims to be willing to sell you seeds for $25 each is about as far as it goes now.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@R2elk some more info for you. I asked a couple friends and the replies are starting to come in. so perhaps more to follow?

Recommended to paint the trunks white with watered down latex and shelter the south west side from direct sun. I provided that info in one of the above links for you already though.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think my cherry tree is drowning from all the rain we've had. I'm not sure how to help it. I'm pretty sure that transplanting it now would kill it anyway.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not today persay. We pulled back the animal’s fence quite a bit and are putting trees up there. The soil is beautiful from animals for the better part of a decade.
Got four peach saplings out there, more to come in the fall. Whenever they’re ready to be transferred we have a friend who’s a budding arborist of native plants we’re buying from. She said the other trees transfer better later in the season when it’s cooler. So we should end up with a row of peaches, pawpaws, nuts, more apples, and a few others.
I prefer to plant trees in the fall after they go dormant, better than I do in early spring before they break dormancy. As far as shipping I agree with your arborist, l also believe late fall is better than early spring.

Peaches are the hardest for us to grow, so many things attack them and they seem to be very finicky abou having the right amount of water weekly. I also have to spray them multiple times during the growing season with neem, copper and sulfur. So far I've been able to keep things under control with organics but it aint easy. Our hardiest peach are contender on lovell root stock. Our least hardy is rich may on unknown root stock (potted farm store purchase).

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

LaurenRitz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can you show a picture of it's leafs?

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️
I had two plum trees go out the same way last summer. Perfectly fine until the rain started, then gone.

20240519_160601.jpg
20240519_160554.jpg