What did you do to save $ today?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I cut some scrap fabrice to make "swiffer" pads. Flannel would be better, but there wasn't any in my fabric bin. I saved like... $3. :lol:

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
My seal-a-meal was working.
That's the man's spirit - if something is working take it apart and find out why...

I also have one and you would be surprised what a teenager could figure out to vacuum pack. I would come home and find what ever in the house that could be deflated in bags all over the place. Potato chips don't stand a chance and soda cans are flattened.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
That's the man's spirit - if something is working take it apart and find out why...
LOL...typo! It was supposed to say WASN'T working :D

I generally only take things apart when they stop working. It is the last step before the garbage can. While I saved the seal-a-meal, I had to toss the pond pump. Fortunately I found a replacement on craigslist for $35.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Well, that's great for you, but those women were kinda making fools of themselves...bless their hearts.
Please Ms Ldychef2k,
judge not as there was no impropriety, it was all platonic and heartfelt. I worked with most of the ladies husbands too.

It was 20 years ago and worked at fairly large cheese plant as an electrician, There were 500 people that operated it 24/7 - nestled in a small country community, a good many worked there. After I got divorced I moved within minutes of the dairy, across a large field in an old hemp plantation. With town not being close and me not being a cook I often visited the place after my shift and on off days to dine on the entrees from the vending machines - cheeseburgers, burritos, and other exotic microwave fare.

I suppose people took notice that I ate there and also worked all the overtime available, about 80 hours a week for several years. They knew I fixed TVs and VCRs and was trying to start a business, I guess they took pity on me and had me fix stuff they otherwise wouldn't have as an excuse to cook me a supper. I did however leave out for brevity sake about the men who also had me fixing stereos and fish finders, their payments were 12 packs of beers and the comradery of garbage fires.

So not is all that it may seem, though I must admit I did write it as if it was a blurb from a Harlequin book.

Thank you for your concern, it was well received.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well sitting here having tea trying to get my day moving, scrubbing off the black stuff on the glass of our jotul, the usual am chores. and suddenly dh picks up the phone calls the fireplace/stove store and asks if that Hampton cast iron wood burner is still around and still on sale.

They said yes and he said the check is in the mail!
We will pick it up in May! We just bought a much better stove than what we have at the exact same price and $500 less than the usual retail.

It will go in the house we start construction on in the spring.

:weee

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to a store I've never been to before, a meat store near my chiropractor's office. DH and I were looking for chicken wings for the dogs and couldn't find any this week because of the superbowl.

They had backs! For $0.59 per lb! The chicken wings were $2.29, high this week, but the price has been creeping up and up. So now the dogs will eat a steady diet of cheap backs, and we will only fall back on wings when we can't get to this store (half hour drive, so we try to plan ahead for when we have to be out that way anyways.)

Nice thing is, too, that they are packaged three to a pack, so we don't even need to re-pack them to freeze them, it is a perfect size for us. This is really going to add up over the course of the year, about $5 per week. What will I do with $260 in savings???? Oh, I'll find something to spend it on!

We also got some great stuff that is not available in the regular grocery stores, like a huge rack of beef ribs for $1.59 per lb. I wanted them for broth, but was out-voted by the folks, who nearly drooled when they saw them....brought back memories of growing up in a large, poor family when cheap meats were often served, and often the most delicious!

I got some pork trim for $.99, and scouted the store for future purchases. They had brisket, which I want to make my own corned beef, but it was $4.09 so I will wait and see if it comes on sale. If not, I'll get some as a treat.

I'm so glad I found this store! :weee

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is called Arnold's Meats, and is a locally-owned store, I'm pretty sure. There are two that I know of. All the employees (plenty available, a nice switch from the usual trend today) were very knowledgeable and helpful. Alert and almost running to help us, too! What a treat. I hope lots of local people are lurking right now and go buy from that store.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I love local meat markets, they seem so old fashioned...reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom took me along to the many different specialty markets down town to get her trading done. :)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Those are great finds, Free!!. I have a hard time even findign chicken backs around here. Our vet told us that chicken backs were better for dogs than even chicken wings. When I do find them around here, it is usually in the freezer section and then a whole lot of them frozen together :(

I stayed home today and puttered. The sun finally came out around 1pm and I took Susie and the chicks outside, so they could forage for their own food. I helped them by doing some weeding ;)

Yesterday we had stirfried beef with homegrown vegies for dinner. I used a small piece of steak (barely enough for one person) and streched it to make a meal for two. We picked our first asparagus, used green onions also fresh from the garden, some thinly sliced carrot and garlic. I always love it, when our meal is primarily homegrown :) The rice we used was free, a gift from the neighbor, with whom we always barter for stuff, or rather we both share our abundance :D

My late night snack was homemade trailmix, with homegrown and home dried fruit.